Gareth192001

From HID conversion to standard

Ok having bought the car with the HID conversion its just failed its MOT. I cant be doing with the hassle of trying to sort out another conversion and would much rather return to standrad. Is this easily done?

Cheers for reading and thanks in advance for any help offered

Depends what you mean by 'conversion'. Some of them just use HID bulbs on a halogen-compatible base - these are illegal and unroadworthy, as you found out. If that's the case, swapping the bulbs is all you need and it only takes a minute or two.

You can get complete headlight units designed with projector units for HIDs - they're very expensive but often don't include the self-levelling functions etc that are now compulsory. If the latter then just unplug the connector at the back, remove the three screws and replace with standard light units.

If it's been butchered to 'make it work' then the easiest way is probably to get two new headlights - expect between £45 to £70 per side.

Stone

[quote=Stonejag;897249

If it's been butchered to 'make it work' then the easiest way is probably to get two new headlights - expect between £45 to £70 per side.

Stone

Do you mean the full headlight?

You can't even get close to a legal beam pattern with HID bulbs fitted to an unmodified headlight unit - some people try and bodge in the projector units from a different car's headlights or modify the reflectors, in which case what's left of the headlights is scrap. Looks pike yours have just had some of the illegal hybrid bulbs put in though, just swap them for normal ones and you should be ok.

Carefully doublecheck the inside of the lights for heat damage before you do though - HIDs run too hot and sometimes the plastic melts!

If nothing's visible you may have got away with it...

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

HIDs actually run cooler than standard bulbs, so that should be fine... Chances are that the headlights will be okay.

Looking at that thread, I think you'll have effectively a high powered wiring loom running direct from the battery but switched by relay, but I can't see exactly.

I reckon you'll need to either source new caps for the rear of the headlight - the ones that now have wires running through them or seal the hole, the standard ones have a sort of concealed vent though, so you may be better off looking for some second hand caps - disconnect the ballasts and HID bulbs and remove. Stick standard, preferably decent H4 Halogen bulbs in the headlights - the Philips +90% Xtreme Power ones are good. And reconnect the standard plugs from the high-powered loom directly to the headlight.

Whereabouts are you? If you're not sure, a decent auto-electrician should be able to sort it out easily enough, but if the upgraded loom still uses standard OE plugs or the stock loom is still in there triggering the upgraded one, it should be simple enough to just strip out the HID kit and go back to halogens.

Just looked at the beam pattern pics in that thread. Not surprised it failed the MoT like that.

Edited by Mystic Rado

Cheers to the people who offered help.

Little update on the HID conversion

Finally got a break in the wheather to get under the bonnet to have a look. Removed both headlights to find orginal connector blocks and wiring loom all in orginal untouched condition. So i've got away with just a set of replacement blubs and 2-3 sleepless nights with wiring diagrams going round my head. ~RESULT~

@Mystic Rado I'm in Knaresborough North Yorkshire

End caps i've raided my old British Gas stock and put some blacking grommits in

Edited by Gareth192001
Update