ASE-Master

Bought a 1990 g60 corrado,Need help

I wanna know what do you guys recommend to improve horse power,I am new to corrados but my father is a vw tech so he could help me with installations.If you guys know any good brand or sites that can help me out it would greatly be appreciated.:bonk:

Welcome to wonderful rolercoaster ride that is G60 ownership. First thing to do is establish the health of the charger (when was it last serviced and by whom). Secondly, what (if anything) has been done before? Any history of it being modified in the paperwork?

If it is a blank canvas, then my advice, start with a 68mm pulley and SNS chip - take it slow and see what the mods each do.

Then things to consider; Golf G60 intercooler, ported and flowed head with new cam, oil cooler, flowed throttle body, 4 branch manifold (if you can find a rhd one), etc etc.

To be honest G60's aren't about horespower they are about torque - delivering grunt from low down. Look to improve that and you'll put a huge grin on your face. Where are you based, there are a few well modded ones round the country it would be worth visiting.

Have a word with John Mitchell Racing (16VG60 on here or find him on the interweb) for advice/work/components.

Thanks for the reply,I cant wait to start getting this thing fast.Right now I wanna start checking the car for any problems and what not.This is my project car, so I am gonna go all out.Thanks JMC

I don't intend to put a dampner on things but all I'd say is that the majority of people I've known with project Corrado G60's who've tried to break the 250BHP mark have ended up with a host of reliability problems and ended up generally disillusioned. JMC is an exception to that rule though! :)

I'd say that taking the car from 160BHP up to something around 200-210BHP is a real sweet spot, reasonably easily achieved with proven modifications.

Oh - and stay well away from cone filters. Regardless of what you do, stick to the standard airbox and paper filter if you want your charger to last! :)

My old G60 had a Golf G60 intercooler (much, much bigger than the crap Corrado one), 68mm pulley and an SNS remap and consistently put out 207BHP at various rolling road days over the years. It was perfectly reliable and great fun :)

Best advice ... run it and live with it for 2-3 months before you start spending money on performance parts.

Words of wisdom as always from Jim and VR6 - go with it as it is for now, find out what you like and dont like about it, and then make a plan. Don't forget as well, its not all about making it go fast. If you take a car designed for 160bhp and make it up to 200bhp, if you are going to do it right, you need to address braking and handling as well.