Sign in to follow this  
tornado red

HELP......URGENT!!!!!!!

Since i've had my c there has been a squealing when i turn the wheel whilst not moving. Five mins ago i took it out for a spin and whilst stopped at a junction i moved the wheel and heard a loud grating sound and then smoke started pouring from the bonnet!!!!! i turned off the car opened the bonnet and noticed smoke billowing from the steering rack area and the steering fluid is at min but it was at full this morning, i topped up the fluid and drove it back to the house ( 100 yards ) it didn,t grate or squeal untill i stopped and tried moving the wheels and the grating started Again, any ideas???????????

checked the belt It's there and seems tight enough but i started the car up again and moved the steering wheel and its still grinding,whining squealing and its also pissing fluid all over the ground

ugh... :| leaking fluid from where? front or back of the engine bay? sounds like your pump's bearings have gone to me...

i cant see where its coming from but it looks like the rack is covered in fluid, if its the pump bearings how much do you think that would cost as the money situation isn't good

if it's the rack that's covered in fluid, it's most likely to be the rack that's blown a seal, and the pump is squeeling in protest of having been run with no fluid in it... :|

The smoke was probably from the fluid hitting the hot exhaust... The only way to tell for definate it to get it to a garage who can have a good look at it to see what's happened.... it could be something as simple as one of the pipes that feeds the rack with pressurised fluid has rusted through, or it could be time for a new rack... :|

Good luck... 8)