matt59876

Audioscape door pods for 6" speakers-how much?

As title; I have a set of audioscape door pods in black leatherette finish fitted to my C but want to put the standard pods back on (maybe trimmed to match the door cards) with upgraded components. So I'm wondering how much they're worth, I can't remember how much I paid 2 years ago but I know they weren't cheap!

Condition wise they are in good used condition with a little bit of wrinkling on the leatherette but I can probably re-glue that once I've removed them from the car.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks bristolbacon, I'm not actually selling them yet as I won't have time time remove them and I haven't bought the replacement speakers yet, just looking for an idea of how much I can recoup on the change.

At the moment I have infinity 6.5" components fitted in the audioscapes and my plan is to buy the same but in 5.25" to fit the standard pods but how much work would be involved in making my 6.5" speakers fit neatly. As mentioned in my initial post I am thinking of having the pods trimmed anyway so fibreglassing/filtering isn't an issue. I'm just wanting a more standard look but love the way my current setup sounds - when I'm not listening to the engine that is ;-)

You should get about £100 for them really if they're in decent condition.

Personally if you want it to look more standard then buy the 5.25 versions of what you have or get the next model up.

You can custom make 6.5 pods, but not that easy or oem looking.. check this link.

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9929

hth

baz

Thanks for the link, I think I've seen those before and probably what made me think it can be done but looking again I think I'd rather try the 5.25"s out.

I've not tried a car with the audioscapes but they look like they would make getting in and out trickier. I'm happy with the sounds from 5.25 if you need more you could add a sub for 100 or so.

I guess this breaks all the rules but when they're up for sale I'll take 'em 100%, cash waiting. Desperate for some of these! (Already got the speakers for them!!).

I spent £200 on a set two weeks ago...

Trouble is to get them attached securely you really need to go mad with the mounting screws and it leaves tons of holes in the door cards if you just take the pods off. The only sensible way to go is to keep them attached to the door cards and swap them with someone with standard pods on their cards - it just takes a little more co-ordination between seller and buyer to swap them over.

They do sound fantastic though! I've got 6.5" Rainbow bass drivers in mine and I've not even put the matched tweeters and crossovers in yet :D They're way better than the Alpines I had in there before. Getting in and out is fine but you may catch your feet/knees on them a few times if you aren't paying attention (before you relearn your muscle memory). Once you're seated they fit nice and snugly without taking up ludicrous amounts of room. The finish can be a bit variable since they were handmade - they're basically a hugelump of fibreglass attached to some cleverly shaped bits of MDF - one of mine looks nicer than the other so I may recover them at some point.

Definitely worthwhile though!

Stone

When I was breaking my rado I sold mine for £120 I believe.

They don't obstruct getting in and out the car, unless you're in a tight parking spot.

Mine were brilliant though

Ive got a couple mate but nothing to detailed:

Comparing the size ready for marking out:

2012-08-06_19-17-20_674.jpg

Cut out using a jigsaw:

2012-08-06_20-10-23_392.jpg

grills in:

2012-08-06_20-11-09_618.jpg

Speakers in:

2012-08-06_22-06-46_65.jpg

Sorry for the rubbish pictures. :)

The speakers are attached in the same way the originals are. Basically I chopped out the size i needed and removed the parts that fixed the old speakers, I then re-glued them with 'Mitre mate glue' and screwed them into place. I originally had Infinity speakers in the door pods and thought they sounded great,but now that I have these its a much better sound, and better bass too. I will take some better pictures tomorrow and show you in detail mate. :)

Stonejag; I never thought about that, thinking back I did go pretty mad with the woodscrews so this could be an issue-maybe it will be more expensive to return to standardish than I thought.

Dumptyboy; they look really good as they don't look too different to standard which is the reason I am wanting to change.

The audioscapes sound great and look good (just very after market in my eyes) and I haven't had any issues getting in and out-but I don't park in tight spaces.

The speakers are attached in the same way the originals are. Basically I chopped out the size i needed and removed the parts that fixed the old speakers, I then re-glued them with 'Mitre mate glue' and screwed them into place. I originally had Infinity speakers in the door pods and thought they sounded great,but now that I have these its a much better sound, and better bass too. I will take some better pictures tomorrow and show you in detail mate. :)

:thumbleft: Cheers mate, much appreciated!