timthetinyhorse

Heater control only selects demist and very stiff

Hi,

The heater control on my 93 vr6 is stuck on demist, the knob ios very stiff so im scared to force it incase i do too much damaged, im not too worried about it at the moment but just wondered if its something daft like cables to replace or are there flaps that can jam open/shut etc

cheers

rob

I'd unscrew the front control panel first and see what's going on where the bowden cables link to the control knobs, see if they are moving correctly from that end and that the controls and cable clips are in place and nothing is obviously broken, you can then move on to checking the cable operation disconnected from the back of the controls as they should move fairly freely pushing and pulling the cable by hand.

Had all mine apart recently, and followed the cable back to the flaps and imo its the flap that caused mine to stiffen up. Mine had some foam on the edge of flap, i guess to make a more airtight seal, but this has fallen apart and hardly any left, just a stick crumbly mass of old foam.

My dials turn freely once removed, the but the cable is still hard to operate by hand, i don't see any issue with my cable as it in dry place and none of the others have a problem.

Its the large flap on left hand side of the bit in centre of dash, where that joins to the fan ducting on passenger side.

Don't go forcing something if it doesn't turn easily, it will only break

It can be one of several things - take davidwort's advice first though.

When we did the heater matrix on Supercharged's car, we got the whole heater box out (that was a lot of work!!) and checked out the cog system on the underside and found they'd gone out of alignment at some point and had jumped a few teeth. We realigned it all and now the heater controls all work like a charm. I hope you don't have to get to that level to work out the problem though.... :)