Bio

2.0 16V Radiator removal

Hello chaps,

So the Corrado has been sat on the drive for 2 years while we try and save for a house and get things in order (I also bought another car), so we decided to start her up and get it back on the road.

I'm pretty sure the water system had had its day as the coolant hoses feel "crunchy" as if they are full of crystallised fluids or rust..

What I'd like to do is remove and replace the rad and hoses, and while there is plenty of info about VR's I'm struggling even with the search to find out how to remove the 2.0 Rad. Does the front HAVE to come off to do it or can I get away with lifting it up and out?

Where is the best place to obtain a full set of hoses?

Are there any tips for flushing the system that's potentially gunked up real bad? Could I for example put a high pressure hose in and rinse the system through?

Any thoughts and tips appreciated.

Sorry if this has been covered before, I really did try searching!

Nope. The front doesn't have to come off at all.. in fact the 2.0 16v rad is quite easy. It's been a few years since doing mine but pretty much a question of:

* disconnect the bottom hose and drain the system

* disconnect the top hose

* disconnect the rad fan switch

* unscrew the four bolts holding the fan cowling on and disconnect any wiring for that - lift out

* Unbolt the two bolts holding the rad to the slam panel

* lift the radiator out!

It's really really easy - and I'm totally crap with the spanners :)

Thanks. We finally managed to get it out. Turns out it was more of a pain than first thought due to the years of corrosion on the bolts but I've flushed it through now which is nice :)

Got a few more things to work on now though!