Sign in to follow this  
rmn

PG and 1H Block differences

Are there any differences between the PG crank and the 1H ones?

Also are the rods the same?

I got a 1H engine to use as a base because i know the cooling was are better in it.

Thanks

yes there are a few differences between the 1H and the PG block... I think I've learnt most of 'em over the last 6 months or so since I got my 1H block to replace my dead PG block... :roll: :lol:

Headbolts are MUCH bigger on the 1H (length and width) (see pic!)

Bolts to hold the gearbox on are bigger diameter on the 1H (you'll need to drill out the hole in the main gearbox earth strap else it won't fit!)

The oilways and waterways are slightly different internally, although this doesn't affect how anything else attaches to the engine.

The bore of the cylinders is smaller on the 1H (it's 1763 rather than 1781 so that it could get through the rally regulations) although it can be overbored to exactly the same amount a PG block can (mine's at 83mm)

As far as I know, they're the only differences (apart from the obvious one that the serial number starts 1H rather than PG! ;) )

The crank and rods were the same as the PG AFAIK, although I can't positively state that, as my block has a different crank in it and my original PG rods to get to 1940cc...

The only 2 that'll catch you out are the head bolts and the gearbox bolts, other than that, it's exactly the same to rebuild one... 8)

Good luck! 8)

Edit - Oh, look what I just found... :)

Rallye (1H) engine info http://www.doppel-wobber.de/m_1h.html

G60 (PG) engine info http://www.doppel-wobber.de/m_pg.html

Thanks Henny, i heard about the different head bolts alright.

Anyone else got crank info?

ETKA says the cranks are the same. Which means it is the same as a pretty much any GTI in 16V.

Gavin

Cool, thanks guys!

Henny what head studs did you use?

I found that pic in the pages on your car

head studs are genuine VAG 1H studs... I figure that they're already somewhat uprated from the PG ones so there's not a lot of point trying to uprate them! ;) :lol:

So from reading this would I be right to assume that I could swap the 1H block in my rallye for a PG from a corrado without too much trouble? But i will need the gearbox bolts from the corrado to mount my gearbox to the PG block as they are different? am I right so far? Other than that everything else is a straight swap, basically unplug everything take out the old block, in with new one and away.

That's about it except you'll spoil the car, for some people, by fitting a different engine. Why are you wanting to change the engine for one that is 'not as good'?

Gavin

The reason for this is, I blew my charger a few weeks ago, and have found a complete PG block charger etc at a good price, I was looking for a 1H block/charger etc left over from someones rallye 20vt conversion but no joy. I am going to swap the complete setup, so that I can strip and rebuild my 1H block and create a 16v G60 spec rallye. I like the idea of a 16v g60 rallye, I don't really want to go down the 20v turbo route, I know there are good power gains to be had and they are more tuneable engines but everyone is doing it. I know the 16v option is going to end up being more expensive than a 20vt conversion. This way though I can still use the car whilst I'm building the new engine over the next few months. Then when I'm done and the 1H block is back in my car I can sell the PG block anyway. I think this is the better route to go down rather than using the PG block as a base, because the 1H is the better of the two. What do you think?

That is what i am using this rallye block for.

I again wanted something a little different.

Go for it! :lol:

The reason for this is, I blew my charger a few weeks ago, and have found a complete PG block charger etc at a good price, I was looking for a 1H block/charger etc left over from someones rallye 20vt conversion but no joy. I am going to swap the complete setup, so that I can strip and rebuild my 1H block and create a 16v G60 spec rallye. I like the idea of a 16v g60 rallye, I don't really want to go down the 20v turbo route, I know there are good power gains to be had and they are more tuneable engines but everyone is doing it. I know the 16v option is going to end up being more expensive than a 20vt conversion. This way though I can still use the car whilst I'm building the new engine over the next few months. Then when I'm done and the 1H block is back in my car I can sell the PG block anyway. I think this is the better route to go down rather than using the PG block as a base, because the 1H is the better of the two. What do you think?

Seems sensible to me!! :lol: