Ruggy

Bumper Removal

Can somebody tell me how to remove the bumpers please. Do I have to unbolt the brackets from the car then separate the bumper cover from the bumper iron, or is it possible to just remover the plastic part of the bumper without unbolting everything?

Thanks

You need to remove the whole thing, rears are just 4 bolts underneath but the front is a lot more involved, you need to remove the indicators to get at the wiring connectors and then depending on the model remove side under trays, brake air ducts and wheel arch liner bolts to be able to slide the bumper forwards, you also need to note that the front bumper mounting bolts are the two big ones either side and not the 13mm bolt, and that these support the front cross member, so support the cross member with a jack under the front engine mount point. Covers can only be removed when the whole bumper is off the car as you need access to all the wedge and tabs into the bumper iron.

You need to remove the whole thing, rears are just 4 bolts underneath but the front is a lot more involved, you need to remove the indicators to get at the wiring connectors and then depending on the model remove side under trays, brake air ducts and wheel arch liner bolts to be able to slide the bumper forwards, you also need to note that the front bumper mounting bolts are the two big ones either side and not the 13mm bolt, and that these support the front cross member, so support the cross member with a jack under the front engine mount point. Covers can only be removed when the whole bumper is off the car as you need access to all the wedge and tabs into the bumper iron.

The cars a '95 8v.

In regards to the front bumper, I'm needing to remove it so that I can attach new wings, is it at all possible to attach the wings without fully removing the bumper? I.e. just loosening things off do that I can move the bumper slightly forward and down giving me enough room to attach the wings?

Thanks for your help.

You can do that Ruggy, but to get to the point of being able to slide the bumper forward would still involve doing everything that David has said to do. You'd probably get away with not removing the lights to get to the wiring connections for the indicators and fogs. So really you may as well just remove it completely.

Not that there's a bolt on the inside of the arch, under all the underseal, which means the arch liner has to come out - this tucks behind the trailing edges of the bumper.

Here's a good step by step. http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9393 I did this recently and removal, replacement took a couple of hours. You don't have to remove the spoiler lip.

The wings are just unbolt and remove with the added problem of sealant in the rear joint between the wing and the car. To get to it you will need to remove the liners. You will then need to cut through the sealant to remove the wing I used various thin cutty things starting with a Stanely knife and adjusting as it went. Beer assists with removing it as you will get sweaty and need to drink some.

Edited by Wullie