cdem

Top mounts

I changed my front top mounts a few weeks ago and they have had it again. I didnt buy genuine vag just the ones from gsf. I know they arnt the best but they should last longer than a few hundred miles. What could be causing them to wear so quickly?? I don't drive hard and the mileage I done just purely motorway mileage and have FK Silverline coilovers which arnt even stiff at all

what age car/engine, 4 cyl cars had mk2 style mounts with integrated bearing, VR and 1995 cars had mk3 style mounts with separate bearings, the GSF pattern parts for the mk2 style are just not up to the weight of the corrado

Hate to say it bud, but when it comes to the bushes you do get what you pay for. I would take them back tell them what's happened and get a refund. Then get genuine ones, the originals lasted for nearly 20 years so you should be good for a while.

When I bought my VR it had just had new drop links. Non genuine. They failed after 200 miles or so. I went to Eurocar Parts and got OE spec and you can see the difference when you hold them together and look at the quality. The cheap ones looked like they had been built by someone who had not seen one before and it was being described to him offer the phone.

Even if your coilovers are not that harsh, they are still much firmer than the standard boat ride they came on so there will be more strain. If you have a VR there is also a hell of a lot more weight. That's if they gave you the right mounts too.

the cheap ones looked like they had been built by someone who had not seen one before and it was being described to him offer the phone.

lol!

Hahaha!!

Thanks for the replies guys. The car is a 1.8 16v. Would I be best getting vr6 top mounts then or just genuine 16v ones?

With coilovers the job is easy, you won't need the vr top spring plates or top hats just the mk3 rubber and mk4 bearing, there's a good thread on club gti about it, mk2 guys fitting coilovers and mk3/vr top mounts

Yep but it's more involved with standard type struts and springs as the spring top plates need changing too as they must match the later /vr mounts