gregski

93 VR6 Speedo Speedometer & Tach Tachometer not working

Forgive me for asking what may have been posted in the past I did try a search first. My vehicle is stock so you helping me troubleshoot this may be of benefit to others in the future. There was no engine swap, nothing has been deleted, etc. The problem occurred a week or two after replacing a Sony aftermarket radio with an Alpine aftermarket radio (maybe this is related maybe completely a coincidence but I'm just putting it out there).

So first to get a few things out of the way, the gauges in the center console all work fine, the oil pressure, the clock and what ever the third one is there, those work, this post is not about those anyway.

The speedo does not work, the needle does not move.

The tach does not work, the needle does not move.

The odometer does not work either it does not light up with digits at all.

I think there is another display next to the odometer which looks similar to it where it shows you miles per gallon, etc, that does not work either.

The water temp works fine, as does the fuel gauge. Also so idiot lights do light up red or green under the speedo and tach.

What have I done so far. I think I went through every single fuse and eyeballed them and did not see obvious cracks in them. (I know sometimes you can't see the cracks, but I didn't swap every fuse with a good one to test that yet)

I replaced the Relay for the engine control module with a brand new one, but that did not fix the problem.

The vehicle speedometer sending unit (that sits on the manual transmission) was replaced about 3 years ago so it is fairly new relative to this 19 year old car.

I have pulled out the gauge cluster and ensured the plug in the back was not loose and plugged in firmly.

I am at a loss, please help. Any suggestions on how to test the electrics properly?

Edited by gregski

The main wiring loom for the instrument cluster connects from the back of the instruments into the back of the fuse board, it might be worth dropping the fuseboard and checking all the large connectors are not loose and in thier correct position. Failing that do you know anyone that you could borrow a working instrument cluster off and try plugging that in to your wiring and see if that functions propely?

I cant inagine the stereo would effect anything unless cables were pulled when fitting it and something worked loose ?