Critical_Mass

Quick Tax question

Hi all,

Quick Q.

Corrado tax expires at the end of Oct and i plan on SORN'ing it until next year. If i sorn it before the tax expires is the SORN of immediate effect or can i use the car until the tax ends, at which point its the SORN?

Hope that makes sense lol

Cheers

Hi all,

Quick Q.

Corrado tax expires at the end of Oct and i plan on SORN'ing it until next year. If i sorn it before the tax expires is the SORN of immediate effect or can i use the car until the tax ends, at which point its the SORN?

Hope that makes sense lol

Cheers

Your SORN starts from the start of the month ie.... 1st November when your tax runs out, unless your claiming money back which you can't half way through the month.

to be sure do it online next wednesday. it's a 2min job and you just print out the sorn cert, then they send you comfirmation through the post.

just looked at my sorn which i did mid august before i went on holiday and it says from 1st september. my insurance company was funny about it being sorn on a normal policy. i had to take out a laid up policy.

Edited by delfinis38

I think as soon as you SORN it, it's SORN. So you need to do it on the final day you want to be able to use the car up until.

ah ok guys. Cheers!

Will the insurance company know unless i tell them. Its on a multi car policy (admiral)

I guess not. I got away with it for x years.... it was admiral / elephant that made me change.

The SORN starts when the paid road tax period runs out.

On the acknowledgement it states it will start as the paid road tax expires. For instance I have just SORN'd one of my cars on the 12th October for a paid tax disc expiring 31st October. The SORN confirmation states the start of the 12 months SORN period is 1st November.

Insurance. Unless you intend to do something differently like store the Corrado away from your residence in a lock-up, then there should be no need to tell them as you circumstances have not changed. However if stored in the open on the driveway long term without being driven, I'd tend to have a conversation with the insurance just to sure as a stationary car 24 hours a day is more of a risk to them of a claim.

If you are storing it away form the normal declared point ie. garaged at house or on driveway, then moving to a lock-up changes the risk and new post code can be more or less at risk. So under this situation, yes it is advisable to inform the insurance company as the move is not temporary like when driving around.

I thought you could SORN a vehicle from any date - to SORN from when the tax expires is just the default option? Otherwise how could you be 'legal' if your insurance runs out before your tax, and you don't want to renew?

I'm also sure I've SORN'd a car before the tax runs out before, and got money back for the complete months of tax I didn't use.

Yes you can SORN early/anytime, but the original post specifically asked about "expiring end of October". In the Road Tax reminder its more like renewing the road tax except you have the three options to continue from the expiry date of the current road tax period, 12 months tax, 6 months tax or SORN for 12 months.

(My comments originally assumed that a Road Tax reminder letter had been received. And the "end of October" was linked to the received DVLA reminder letter.)

If you run out on insurance before the tax does, surely its off the road on private property and SORN'd on the same day. Thats how I interpret below. Otherwise you having to cover the car with an insurance policy for the remaining current Road Tax period...... because its still road tax'd.

To quote the DVLA......

Uninsured vehicles

Rules in England, Wales and Scotland

The rules for insuring vehicles are called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’. They mean that if you’re the registered keeper

of a vehicle it must be insured or declared as off the road (SORN).

SORN'ing part way through the tax period is a different matter. ie. on the V890 you declare a SORN date yourself and quoting the v890 "That the vehicle will not be used or parked on a public road from the date given above". "Above" being the date that you write at the top of the form in the "Date of SORN" box. Then if I remember rightly, they will only refund in whole round months after that date.

Edited by RW1

(My comments originally assumed that a Road Tax reminder letter had been received. And the "end of October" was linked to the received DVLA reminder letter.)

Correct :)