Sign in to follow this  
daveybwoy

G60 v belt pulley wobble

While fiddling with an Edition One G60 I noticed a whinging sound. Thought it was the alternator but turns out to be coming from the v-belt pulley attached to the crank pulley. The pulley wobbles a bit on idle but doesn't when the engine is revved nor does it make a whinging sound under load.

Is the wobble normal? (I doubt it). whats the likely cause and cure? (Vibration damper or pulley itself?) Any help much appreciated as we would like to get it sorted for interz.

Its number 5 in the pic thats wobbling like ba5tard.

1-4-2-1084525986m=1&pg=0&ro=3&co=1&pw=*11EA40828469.jpg

Cheers

Dave

It has probably been battered with a hammer to get it off during a Cam belt change. Unless of course the pulley bolt is loose/snapped.

CLOSER INVESTIGATION REQUIRED SHARPISH!!!!!!!!!

Gavin

Thanks will check....................did have a cam belt change not long ago so that could be the problem.

The other problem is that VW have them pulleys on back order.............so the chance of getting one is slim to none. Does anyone have a spare for sale?

Cheers

Dave

is that the pulley that drives the Power steering, or the supercharger/alternator/waterpump?

If it's the latter I have a brand new, VAG bagged, one that you can have for slghtly less than it cost inc postage and packing (I'll dig out the VW receipt so you can have that too... )

I used my P/S one on my engine though... :?

If there's a vibration down there, I'd get the crank bolt changed ASAP as they make a mess when they snap... :evil: If you do change it, get one from a MKI golf 1800 (DX engine code) It's not a stretch bolt and won't shear off like the G60 ones do... just make sure you thread lock it in! ;)

I take it then that 'Number 11' on the diagram above just to the left of Number 5 that we are talking about, is the fabled crank bolt?

Mine did exactly the same thing. Looks right dodgy but never caused any problems, speak to Dangermouse, he has the car now.

I take it then that 'Number 11' on the diagram above just to the left of Number 5 that we are talking about, is the fabled crank bolt?

yeah, that's the stretch bolt :roll: :mad:

Could even be one or more of the 4 allen screws (no 10) is not seated properly ?

Like H100VW (Gavin) & Henny (Ian) have said - the stretch bolt in crank (no 11) should be replaced for the non-stretch type - be sure to order the big thick washer that goes with it though :wink:

Could even be one or more of the 4 allen screws (no 10) is not seated properly ?

Like H100VW (Gavin) & Henny (Ian) have said - the stretch bolt in crank (no 11) should be replaced for the non-stretch type - be sure to order the big thick washer that goes with it though

I ordered the bolt from the part number on a previous thread and it was the 6 sided one and I didn't get the washer which I discovered I needed after Mr Haywire had removed the stretch bolt!

After looking on ETKA tho I realised the original one had been superceded with a newer one that looked the same but is the non-stretch type.

Henny sent one down for me incase I could not get one from VW in time, I'm keeping that at work so If anyone needs one quickly I can send it down to them first class...

For the Bolt? - It should be on Etka if you look under Corrado G60's... as a replacement part for the original (superceded)

N-903-208-02

Think I've got a similar problem on mine too, well the start of it. There's about 1-2mm play on the pulley itself, and on cold start I get a horrible metal on metal grinding noise. :( Are these parts available from a motor factor's, or is this going to be a stealer affair?

Cheers

randal

yours is a 1.8 16V... different pulley set up entirely... ;)

The bad news for you is that this is likely to be the waterpump idler pulley... it's a crap design where there is a pulley that's on a brass bush bearing onto the waterpump pulley. The inner pulley powers the waterpump, the outer one is a free-wheeling pulley to guide the belt to the P/S pump's pulley... the brass bush wears out and falls to pieces making a hell of a noise and eventually falls out making a horrible noise all the time... :?

The slightly better news is that they have dropped in price in the last few years and are no longer the £90+vat I paid for one 5 years ago... :|

I'll dig out a part number and pic of the bit in a mo so you can verify that this is the part you mean Randal... 8)

Daaaaamn. Ah well, not the end of the world. Henny, Thanks again. :D

P.S - When are you going to start charging me for all this advice? :lol: