kbtVR6

Digging deeper into the engine...........

Hi again folks

OK, so I have investigated some of the issues mentioned in my first posting the other day. I now have the thermostat housing off the end of the cylinder head and is is well gone inside as well. the inner lip that the seal sits in has split away completely and the sealing face on the head also has some corrosion pitting. Looks like a previous owner has suffered some slight leakage and had the bits off and stuck a load of silicone in there to try and seal it up. I hope it was a home attempt at a fix as if it was a professional mechanic I would be ashamed!

I think I will be able to clean out the pitting and apply some aluminium chemical metal. The upside is I now have great access around the end of the engine for cleaning so it is looking a bit smarter.

Also found the problem with the auxiliary cooling pump. Bearings are gone as is is almost impossible to turn. Incidentally, the impeller is magnetically driven by a rotating magnet dragging it round. This does away with the need for any form of mechanical seal which are always prone to leakage. Anyway, both these parts should be with me soon along with all new seals.

If anybody is interested in photo's of all these parts in pieces, I will post them once I am able to make official threads shortly.

That's all for now

kbtVR6

Some great info but I don't think it needs another thread in the Newbies forum.

If it's an update and pictures on your car, start a Members' Gallery thread :)