Critical_Mass

Repairing underseal / stonechip

Hi all,

Need some advice.

The underseal has started to come away from the seal where the sill meets the front wing. Whats the best way repair this. Can i sand (??) the underseal off, treat the metal underneath, reapply the underseal / stone chip and then repaint as you would a normal panel?

I say "underseal / stonechip" as im not sure which one it is, if its they're different things???

Any help would be appreciated as i dont want to leave this much longer as i dont want water to rust and rot the sill.

not entirely sure where you mean, is it visible when you look at the side of the car?

if it was under and not visible i would grind/sand back the split underseal to the good stuff makeing sure all rust has been ground out , then 2k epoxy prime {see link} mix it up in a paint mixing cup and brush it on, then apply a few coats shutz underseal or any underseal to finish it off, check out the properties for epoxy primer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360455123441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

even if it is on a visible panel idd still grind it back and wack epoxy on it better then leaving it , or worse breaking it like a cry baby.

cars are still driveable with primer patchs

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Cut all the loose rubber stone chip away, grind any rust off, treat the metal then give it a coat of schutz. The OE stuff is £20 from VW, or you can get a small pot of something similar from ebay. I use a brand called Indasa. Due to thickness, you may need a couple of coats. It brushes on easy enough.

I used a sharp chisel to scrape off underseal, you won't know where to stop once you start finding bits :lol:

Then i treated the rust with the POR15 stuff, = Marine clean, metal ready and the rust paint, then i just brushed on the schutz stuff, then i sprayed it with some wax coating. Am sure rust will come back as i got to the point of madness and kinda rushed it all at the end, will deal with it next summer.

Cheers guys. Will have to wait until summer (a good summer - could be waiting a while), to get this done.

I want something thick so will look into your suggestions James.

VR_Owner - where i mean is the sill (visible seal, it gets to a joint under the door, hinged end of the door. It then meets the trailing edge of the front wing - behind the rear part of the arch - hope that makes sense. Its visible :(

Some of mine, think its the same area you mean, the underseal hides so much corrosion.

I only planned to repair the small hole in the wing, thats all i could see

2011-07-27104205.jpg

2011-07-27104148.jpg

Other side was similar

2012-05-27133336.jpg

After cutting some metal out

2012-05-07145759.jpg

Yeah similar area. See the first pic, its where the horizontal line is on the left, but sill side not wing side.

Hope there isnt more than whats visible.

Yeah similar area. See the first pic, its where the horizontal line is on the left, but sill side not wing side.

Hope there isnt more than whats visible.

kk then that area should be treated and finished the same way as the paint work on the rest of the car apart from you add the stonechip paint from a shutz gun via air compressor to give the rough orange peel texture before your primer or after your primer {see instructions on application of it } so forget underseal , the rough texture is a stonechip finish , basicly realy bad orange peel!

then apply your basecoat {colour } and then your clear coat, tbh if you give it time and use the right products you can get it looking good enough,

here , you need to spray it on to match best you can the rest of the orange peel/stone chip finish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-GREY-STONE-CHIP-UPOL-GRAVITEX-STONE-CHIP-HS-U-POL-UNDER-BODY-STONE-CHIP-GREY-/180983418868?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2a2373cff4

use that horizontal line as a mask line and an edge to work to,