Billzeebub

Fitting Aerial Rubber Gasket?..

Just picked up a replacement Aerial Gasket for the Corrado as the original one came away as I was cleaning it the other day. I was wondering if anyone has a 'top tip' for fitting it without removing half the inside of the car. I have just tried to pop it over the aerial from the outside and my big thumbs have had no joy forcing it home. It cost me £16.50 so don't want to risk snapping it through trial and error!..any ideas, washing up liquid?..Vaseline?..tools?..

Any advice from anybody that's actually done it would be much appreciated folks..

It was a few years ago when i did this but you can lower the back end of the headlining disconnect the cable and remove the whole aerial, it is held on with a nut underneath.. New gasket on, job done

Its really not that bad to do..

I couldn't trouble you for the part number of your gasket could i please?

Thanks, I will probs end up doing that..I just wanted a lazy mans way out!..

Part number is 1ho051753.....it comes with a rubber ring and a bolt too. I think the chap said there were only a couple left in central stock which is another reason why I don't wana break it!..

As Goldie says, remove the rear rooflining trim to get to the 22mm nut holding the ariel in place and away you go.

The worst bit is removing the trim as there will be a big blob of silicon sealant right in the middle to hold it in place so dont just try and yank off the trim, get a small craft knife and try to stab/cut into the sealant then once it's chopped up the trim clips will just pull straight out directly away from the body of the car, the same kinda clips you get on the A pillars etc.

see my members thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?48846-VWVW-Still-Enjoying-the-VR/page6&highlight=VWVW page 6 post number 60. There are pictures to show you how its held etc.

Unfortunately there is no easy way of doing it. Pulling the roof lining down to get to the nut that holds the aerial in is the only way as the gasget sits below the aerial stub.

I think that I have managed it. I wanted to try the easy ways before resorting to messing about with delicate clips etc..I used Vaseline and a BBQ skewer and think I have cracked it. Smeared a healthy/liberal amount of Vaseline around the aerial base and roof, then eased the gasket down with fingers, whilst simultaneously going round the edges with the skewer forcing it over the lip. It took a while but it seems snug and like it won't be coming off any time soon.

I have fitted 3 now using ones off E Bay for about £4.00 each, I "soften" them in hot water for 5/10 minutes and then fit them from above without dismantling anything - I use my wife's plastic salad knife out of the kitchen drawer to ease them in around the base of the roof as necessary.

This is the pic of the last one I fitted (See Post *33) - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?50830-1994-Flash-Red-VR6/page4

Ian.