rsvicg60

S.O.S - G60 coolant flush - air in system ?

Hi

I'm a new corrado owner and joined the forum to keep an eye on all things G60 - just didn't think I'd be looking for assistance quite so early

I've got a 91 red G60 - picked it up last week and drove it 300 miles up the road - no issues - sweet as a nut

The car had been sitting for a while before I bought it so I had a look at the coolant and decided I'd give it a quick change as the car will be going in the garage come next week and it won't see the light of day until next year ( I work away from home so by the time i get back the roads will be covered in salt and the like )

I drained the coolant by disconnecting the bottom radiator hose and ran water through it until clear - replaced the hose and slowly filled with coolant. I have a genuine VW workshop manual which states to run the car at 1500rpm for 2 minutes topping up the level as you go. It then says to replace the cap and let the engine run until the fan comes on - this is where it all goes wrong !

Before the fan kicks in the coolant level rises and flows out of the expansion tank pretty much emptying the coolant all over my nice clean engine bay. I have tried all manner of squeezing hoses and pre filling but the result is the same. Everything worked fine until I drainedthe system. I think I have air in the system but just can't get it out. At the moment I have completely drained the system and I am ready to start again

Can anyone please give me a definitive method to re fill and bleed the cooant system ?

I can't find any bleed points on the system and there are none mentioned in the manual I have.

I have 2 days to sort this out before heading back to work so I can get the car to winter storage - any assistance will be very much appreciated

Cheers

Hi

I'm a new corrado owner and joined the forum to keep an eye on all things G60 - just didn't think I'd be looking for assistance quite so early

I've got a 91 red G60 - picked it up last week and drove it 300 miles up the road - no issues - sweet as a nut

The car had been sitting for a while before I bought it so I had a look at the coolant and decided I'd give it a quick change as the car will be going in the garage come next week and it won't see the light of day until next year ( I work away from home so by the time i get back the roads will be covered in salt and the like )

I drained the coolant by disconnecting the bottom radiator hose and ran water through it until clear - replaced the hose and slowly filled with coolant. I have a genuine VW workshop manual which states to run the car at 1500rpm for 2 minutes topping up the level as you go. It then says to replace the cap and let the engine run until the fan comes on - this is where it all goes wrong !

Before the fan kicks in the coolant level rises and flows out of the expansion tank pretty much emptying the coolant all over my nice clean engine bay. I have tried all manner of squeezing hoses and pre filling but the result is the same. Everything worked fine until I drainedthe system. I think I have air in the system but just can't get it out. At the moment I have completely drained the system and I am ready to start again

Can anyone please give me a definitive method to re fill and bleed the cooant system ?

I can't find any bleed points on the system and there are none mentioned in the manual I have.

I have 2 days to sort this out before heading back to work so I can get the car to winter storage - any assistance will be very much appreciated

Cheers

A bit off topic mate but is this a bbm g60 perchance?