Ralphead

Should my headlights be brighter with the stalk held in?

When I put my full beams on the headlights are reasonably bright (I haven't yet made up new looms yet) but when I let the stalk go they go alot dimmer. Is this normal? Oh it's a 1990 16v if that makes any odds.

My VR does this, I believe it's normal. Whilst the stalk is held in you get both dipped and high beam when you let go, dipped goes off and your left with just high beam.

Nice to know its normal, often wondered why, as I found myself driving around holding the stalk in not letting just so i could see better.

Cheers for asking :)

Nice to know its normal, often wondered why, as I found myself driving around holding the stalk in not letting just so i could see better.

Cheers for asking :)

You should be careful about that. I'm not hot with electrical stuff but I think doing that will put more current through the loom and be a penitential fire hazard. I'm sure one of many electronic oracles will correct me if I'm wrong.

On mine holding the stalk simply used the H3 main beam bulbs (ones beside the grille) and the otherwise pretty much unused full beam filament on the dual filament H4 bulbs.

I was thinking of making up a headlight loom that used both the H3 and H4 full beam filaments...instead of just switching on the H3 bulbs and leaving the H4 dipped filaments on when you pull the stalk to put on the full beams....

H4 full beam filament is rated the same wattage as the dipped beam.....so no risk of overloading anything!

My VR does this, I believe it's normal. Whilst the stalk is held in you get both dipped and high beam when you let go, dipped goes off and your left with just high beam.

Well that's what I thought... I assumed that when I was holding the stalk all the way back to go from dip to main that the extra brightness was due to both dip and high being on at the same time. Then when I released the stalk that I was only high beam left on. But no I have both running, just dimmer than with the stalk held back. Also the blue high beam warning light in the dash is brighter with the stalk held back, strange eh?

Yes but what I'm saying is that when I switch my high beams on the dips stay lit as well. And when I'm holding the stalk back they are still both on but brighter, with the blue dash warning light getting brighter too.