Sign in to follow this  
cypress hill

ADVICE PLEASE ON A GOLF MK2 16V

Hi guys, what do u think j reg 1992 golf mk2 gti 16v...12 months mot no tax...in good condition , drives perfect..128k miles..ew, pas sr, alpine cassette deck.....for £1500....i might be buying it this week....what do u think people is that a fair price????

As long as there is no rust around the arches and the body work is good then the price is ok, would not let the mileage put you off as Ive seen plenty advertised for £1500 - £2000 that turn out to be rusty and generally unloved/tatty....but you dont mention service history, be nice to see a stamped book and old mots to gauge originality i would have thought?

Things to check :-

Heater works and the carpets are dry - lots of sunroof seals are knackered and if the heater matrix goes it will leave water in the passenger footwell - dash out job I believe to repair!

bottom of the doors for rust

all the other areas such as oil filler cap,boot,corner of the front wings etc for accident damage signs........

I just had to let my G Reg Valver, 140k, FSH.. go for £700 gutted! spent over a grand on parts during its last year! It did have a noisy gearbox and clutch was on its way out, so can't really complain!

As G-Lader says though... If there's no history i'd walk away and find another! pleantly around.

Dan

thanks ...this id the first golf im buying so i am really excited...is it that big of deal if theres no history....check it out go onto ebay and put this number in searc....2474339210........seller has taken it off ebay cos im buying it on saturday...let me know wot u think please

Yes... history is pretty important. The 16v engine is very sturdy but probably not as sturdy as the bullet proof 8v engine.

I'd want to be seeing SOME kind of history for that money! :)

Looks nice on the photos but thats not to say its gonna be any good when you turn up to view.........just cant gauge the condition from photos.........

Does not have any mention of history either? Must be some even if you look at the V5 and ring the last owner (thats if he's not ex-directory!) that would be some reassurance?

Good luck

apparaently there is some history...is that enuff to go by.................i gotta say this is a wicked site....quick good advice...........wicked!!!

some history is better than none but Id be trying to phone the last owner and do a hpi check as well...........

End of the day the condition is all important with older cars not the mileage or history, but without the history you really need to know what your looking at on the car to establish how well its been looked after!

It does look nice... i saw that one the other day!

Check things like, Oil changes (every 5k really), Cam belt (every 60k) have been done.

How many owners has it had ?

Just try not to get carried away if its the first golf you've looked at. I'm also slightly worried that you dont know what a V5 is, if you not that clued up on cars make sure you take someone along who is!

hi dude its had 5 owners il be th3 6th...i am taking someone who knows what to look for and stuff like that when buying a car....thanks man...i love this site

ive been looking for a gti 16v for ages ...man i tell u ive seen some proper dodgy ones...but this one looks decent......where did u see this before dana????

sorry to sound a bit thick g- lader...but wots a v5

v5 is the name of the UK vehicle ownership document.

Sorry, i just ment i spied it on ebay the other day...

Good luck mate, if you do get a good one you'll never look back.... Till you start craving for a 'rado :D