Sign in to follow this  
cypress hill

MK1 Golf 1.8 gti Gearbox change

I have a mk1 golf and i'm fitting a recon gearbox, should I get the original 1.8 ratios does anybody have any ideas, I've heard you can fit a 1.6 gti gearbox CAN ANYBODY HELP?

A 1.6GTI gearbox WILL fit onto a 1.8 engine and will give the car a silly quick 0-60, but will be VERY undergeared...

I did this in my MKI when I fitted a 16V engine and the acceleration was mental, but you could redline the engine in every gear and ran out of gearbox at around 120mph... :?

hope this helps... 8)

what spec is your engine? if its a standard one or pushing no more than 120ish bhp a 1.6 would be an idea compromise in terms of a performance upgrade.l

a mk 1 golf 1.8gti or 1.6 will be perfect then most of the other interchangeable g/boxs will be higher geared.plus later mk2 golf and scirocco 1.8 gti boxs have larger drive shaft flanges.hope this helps.

the major problem with the 1.6 gearbox is that it wasn't designed to take the kind of power that some engines are now putting out... I have a spare gearbox in my parents cellar 'cos I know damned well that the box will give up with the 16V engine pushing the power through it! ;)

It all depends on what you want the car for, and what you're planning on doing to it in the future...

I think that if I were to rebuild the car with a choice of any box, I'd use the 1.8 8V gearbox on my 1.8 16V engine as this should be strong enough to take the extra power, but have good enough ratios to make for a fun drive! ;) :D