scorrado123

Adjustable steering column - HELP!!

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could help me out. I just got in to my VR and was reversing out of the garage when I noticed that the steering wheel position was not fixed. I tried moving it up and down to click it into place but to no avail!

Any ideas what the reason for this could be? What should I check? Something that can be fixed easily?? For the record (not sure if it is relevant) the car has a momo steering wheel on it which was on when I bought the car.

Thanks in advance!

Umm... I don't think *think* you do, but it's no real hardship to remove anyway. The steering wheel and stalks all come of without very much trouble :)

Pretty sure there's a bigass screw holding the lower cowling in place though so make sure you remove that before swinging on it to get it off! The plastic on them is very brittle and prising them apart is a pain in the backside.

If your ratchet adjuster is kaput or you just want a fixed steering column that'll not move at all but can still adjust by nut and bolt just replace the spring at the bottom with a bolt, you'll need a bolt threaded all the way. There's an ingenious little thread on here with pictures that'll make it obvious, simple job, take you 30 minutes top. Put a nut on both sides top and bttom so it'll fix movement up and down.

Thanks all for the comments. Had a look over the weekend, the big screw was there in the lower cowling as suggested by Jim (also had one of the other ones in too). Managed to wriggle the cover off fairly easily after removing those. Yes the metal pin had come loose, managed to slip it back in and gave it a few taps to hopefully keep it in place!!

Thanks again all! :thumbleft: