delfinis38

Locking wheel bolts

hi. I 've done a search but found no positive answer....

New tyres going on my speedlines so i guess it's time to buy some locking wheel nuts. Lots of you seem to suggest McGuard with a radius seat and lots have been to halfords numerous times and bought the wrong set.... so which is the right set for a VR with speedlines any one got a part number please or should i just buy a set from VW ???

Also does anyone know a set which will take the standard black plastic nut cap over the top ?

any other recommendation for a set of locking wheel bolts.

cheers.

Had this issue myself in the passed. Got the from Halfords and had to take them back to be given another set with a different number. Still wrong. So took them back again, was told they're the 2 they list for the Corrado. I gave up in the end and went for a different make. Would prefer Mcguard but cant find the right ones either :(

Had this issue myself in the passed. Got the from Halfords and had to take them back to be given another set with a different number. Still wrong. So took them back again, was told they're the 2 they list for the Corrado. I gave up in the end and went for a different make. Would prefer Mcguard but cant find the right ones either :(

Yup thanks.... it was your post from a few years back that i found, which prompted the question.... don't fancy buying the wrong part from halfords and having to take it back for a refund.......

anyone got a suggestion what to buy... that will fit :)

Brrrr... back to polishing the rado in a cold garage..... :(

You can buy a set from the $tealers, and they should come with the plastic caps and a cap removal tool.

I bought some at Inters a few years ago, think it was around a tenner

---------- Post added at 1:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:08 PM ----------

Actually, ETKA says they are no longer available... yet another obsolete part

---------- Post added at 1:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:13 PM ----------

FYI - Here's the details for the locking nuts:

M12 x 1.5 x 23.5

I assume 1.5 refers to the thread gap, and 23.5 is its the length in millimeters

I've still got the box for the mcguard ones on mine, don't know where they came from as they came with the car but I'll have a look later to see if there is a part number.

Dont bother, they are more hassle then they are worth if the key goes missing. Ive not used locking bolts for about 8-9 years now and when was the last time you heard of someone getting there wheels stolen? In fact I dont think Ive ever heard of it.

Yeah, unless you live somewhere incomprehensibley rough ( and quiet) there isn't much point bothering. If I had something rare like BMW M3 CSLs then I may think differently..but for Corrado standard Speedies etc I think it is such a minor risk as to be negligible.?.

..now watch this space for my wheels/tyres getting nicked!!..

Just remembered about this thread and checked the box for mine and it turns out the previous owner bought the wrong ones. I've got 27181su which it seems are cone shaped not radius.

Mcgard website seems to say 28018 radius are the right ones for Corrado 5 stud wheels

Will probably just put the originals back on and not bother with locking ones.

Fitted the McGard to mine when I first got it, but as others have said I think you'd be pretty unlucky to have them taken! 15s probably won't go over most new cars brakes!

Link to the product code 277368 for halfords is below - they're even the same price as when I bought them in August 2006 at £32.99! You can also get a VW locking wheel nut cap that just about fits which is VW part no 535601173C, which were £1.55 each back in April 2007 versus the standard caps which were only £0.18 each!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_193561_langId_-1_categoryId_262855#tab1

I took them off all my cars, more hassle than they were worth, especially considering I could get them off by abusing a socket. If someone wants wheels, they'll get them, so save your cash

You can buy a set from the $tealers, and they should come with the plastic caps and a cap removal tool.

I bought some at Inters a few years ago, think it was around a tenner

---------- Post added at 1:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:08 PM ----------

Actually, ETKA says they are no longer available... yet another obsolete part

---------- Post added at 1:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:13 PM ----------

FYI - Here's the details for the locking nuts:

M12 x 1.5 x 23.5

I assume 1.5 refers to the thread gap, and 23.5 is its the length in millimeters

They're M14 on 5 stud cars!

I use the internally-splined 'tuner' style ones as a previous set of wheels had such tight bolt holes they were the only kind that would fit!

tuner%20bolt%20set%2020(4).jpg

Keys are dirt cheap so I usually carry a couple in case the tyre place ignores my request and guns them up (which snap the splines off...). They're also slightly harder to round off than the normal socket head kind :)

Stone

I took them off all my cars, more hassle than they were worth, especially considering I could get them off by abusing a socket. If someone wants wheels, they'll get them, so save your cash

Same here. Hate the things.