Oldtax

Rear Lights

wot r peoples thoughts on rear lights? have u upgraded or made changes?

i considered rewiring the fogs to make the brakes more obvious to deter the idiots up my arse (i didnt say Merc/BMW/Audi drivers with their stupid blueish neon/halogen headlights ... but thats wot i meant!) ... but then when its foggy !

anyone using strips in the window etc?

Some people fit a high level third brake light at the top of the rear screen. These may have been standard on US cars, but on here lights off other cars (including Rovers) have been fitted to good effect.

It's well known on here that Corrado's attract tailgaters and a fair few have been written off due to being ploughed into from behind. It might be due to the general low level of the car, or possibly even the theatre of the active rear spoiler.

iv had tailgaters on most journeys to work - mostly bmw, audi and merc drivers! (audi's + bm's are the worst ... as r their stupidly bright headlights. wots with that?!) wots the deal with that?! jealous i expect. . . actually they r probably in Sales or Property or Banking! oh the stereotypes!

2 days ago someone went past on the dual carriage way signing 'w@nk3r' - its weird! i did nothing to provoke him either. i literally couldnt believe it. i phoned him up later and said, "dad, why are you doing this?" (only joking, it wasnt my dad but it did happen).

Cue new thread!

A third brake light is a good idea for exactly the reasons above! I'm not a big fan of the USA-model one, I think it's too low down so it doesn't do as much as it could to draw the attention of the tailgaters...

Mine cost me around £6 off eBay - it's just a 24-LED one on a swivelling mount; installing it can't have taken more than 90 minutes. Stuck it to the top of the back window with some double-sided foam pads, ran the cable down the trim for the C-pillars and wired it into the bulb plate of the offside back light - these have metal contact fingers on the bottom that accept standard 1/4" spade terminals (I didn't realise that at the time so soldered them on and put a blob of epoxy over the top! Will rework it one day when I can be bothered). Don't recall which pin is what offhand but a bit of probing with a multimeter while a mate hits the brake pedal on command will sort you out!

Pics:

corrado-3brake1.jpg

corrado-3brake2.jpg

corrado-3brake3.jpg

corrado-3brake4.jpg

Stone

I think people tend to tailgate cars they can easily see past because they can predict what is going to happen up ahead. It's really difficult to tailgate a tall van or blacked out x5 because you can't see up ahead and so could easily plough into the back of them if they braked suddenly.

I like the idea of the 3rd brake light,

only mod i have done to my rears is sand down the manufacture marks etc and give them a coat of clear laqure to make them looe factory but with a super clean look.........

I think people tend to tailgate cars they can easily see past because they can predict what is going to happen up ahead. It's really difficult to tailgate a tall van or blacked out x5 because you can't see up ahead and so could easily plough into the back of them if they braked suddenly.

I don't think most tailgaters care about seeing past the car in front. I get followed too close as often in the Sprinter van as in the Corrado and it get to me alot more lately than it used to. A lot of drivers don't know what's going on 10 yards ahead let alone their own braking distance, morons..

My missus is still suffering, and probably will for the rest of her life, because of someone ploughing into the back of us at a set of lights three odd years back. Nerve damage from a 20mph ish collision. At least it wasn't the Corrado we were in though eh? As I said it gets to me. A few weeks back a blokes keys ended up over the hedge after I'd had him 6 feet off my bumper for 10 open A road miles, on my way to an MRI for the missus' nerve injury. People think they're invincible in their little metal boxes, all the bravado and big willy bs stops when they can't run away and have to deal face to face.

I put on crystal style lights was gonna go the all red tint look but these come up cheap so thought I would give them a go I wernt sure at first thought they might be a bit dated but I've grown to quite like them [ATTACH]71041[/ATTACH]