jaded2882

Help- Threaded hub

So the car has been back on the road for a day and I have another problem. Noticed today that one of the wheel nuts was loose. The thread on the nut was mashed so I tried another nut in the hole but it was just spinning, so looks like the hub itself has been stripped of thread too.

Obviously I can buy a new bolt easy enough but can the hub be re-drilled or do I need a new hub? It has spacers on too but am I right in saying the spacer doesn't have thread (the bolt just goes through) so this isn't an issue?

Spacer shouldn't be an issue as its not threaded however you are putting more stress on the bolts by using a spacer that is non hubcentric. if you have a bit of practical skill you could first try running a tap through the hold although I doubt there will be enough material left n the hole for that, another option is to drill the hole out larger, tap it and fit a helicoil but only do the f you now what you are doing....

Thanks- the mechanic at work has a tap set so I will borrow an M12 one tomorrow and give that a go first. If that fails I will try a helicoil

Well re-tapping didn't work, the bolt still wouldn't tighten and part of the kit I got from Screwfix snapped as I was trying to get the tap out! It wasn't the actual tap but the screw on 'handle' bit. I wasn't putting very much pressure on it, so that will be going back for a refund!

Anyway, as I believe I would need a press to change the wheel hub (is that right?), I think it will work out cheaper using a helicoil kit.

Long shot but.. When you tried the bolt after tapping was it with the wheel on? It's just that with wheels and spacers I would imagine there's some thread in the hub which the stud can't reach. If there's some and if it's enough turns then a longer stud might save the day.

I changed the wheel bearings and CV joints on the front of my 16v. I can't remember the job that well but I didn't need a press

I have 50mm bolts so it looked like it goes all the way to the back of the hub even with the wheel on, and still wouldn't purchase.

Even if it did, I'd rather not have only half the hub making contact with the stud given the power going through it!

Even if it did, I'd rather not have only half the hub making contact with the stud given the power going through it!

That's alright, with 4wd you've got 19 other studs to do the work!

long shot but maybe theres wheel bolts for other makes of vehicles with slightly larger diameter wheel bolts so you could re tapp that hole to suit, obviously replaceing the hub is the best option here but i think if you could get an m12 steel stud say 70mm long and skrew that into the hub and weld it in then finish it off with a wheel nut like this would be the next best option

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-x-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUTS-LOCKS-FOR-FORD-KA-1996-2008-LOCKING-BOLTS-LUG-P8-/221054484516?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3377dfc024

Thanks- the mechanic at work has a tap set so I will borrow an M12 one tomorrow and give that a go first. If that fails I will try a helicoil

just looked into redrilling my pcd, seems like theres two different size vw wheel bolts, older mk1-mk2 wheel bolts is M12 and the newer ones are M14 so just re tapp your buggerd hole to m14 and run the newer wheel bolt

just looked into redrilling my pcd, seems like theres two different size vw wheel bolts, older mk1-mk2 wheel bolts is M12 and the newer ones are M14 so just re tapp your buggerd hole to m14 and run the newer wheel bolt

Then you'd need to drill the wheel also!

M14 is just the size for 5 stud / plus suspension.

They're real BBS LM's, so I won't be drilling them! You're right though, a lot of people seem to use that method to get round the problem. I will be heli-coiling on Saturday. If that doesn't work then it will be a new hub.

They're real BBS LM's, so I won't be drilling them! You're right though, a lot of people seem to use that method to get round the problem. I will be heli-coiling on Saturday. If that doesn't work then it will be a new hub.

i reccon you will be pretty safe with the coil mate, i used them on some pretty high stress applications and thay have been great every time, just make sure you fit them correctly with plenty of thread lock so they cant work loose

OK so that failed miserably, so I will be getting a new hub... I guess they are golf rallye hubs- does anyone know if all mk2 hubs are the same? Possible Corrado G60 ones are the same too?

MK2 16v hubs are different to other MK2 ones. Not sure about G60 and Rallye but they are either going to be like the 16v hubs or different again.

MK2 16v hubs are different to other MK2 ones. Not sure about G60 and Rallye but they are either going to be like the 16v hubs or different again.

The carrier was different because of the 256mm brakes, same as a 4 Stud Corrado. The hub itself was the same as other late models.

ABS hubs are different to non-abs ones

OK so that failed miserably, so I will be getting a new hub... I guess they are golf rallye hubs- does anyone know if all mk2 hubs are the same? Possible Corrado G60 ones are the same too?

what went wrong with the coil dude?

I didn't have the tools to get the brake discs off, and the hole ended up slightly off centre when I tapped it... Not the fault of the coil!