Sign in to follow this  
smiff

New Rear Speakers

Finally the rear original speakers on my car have given up (They did put up a decent fight for a long time!)

I've asked VW about standard speakers and they said £33 each? (VW Bloke had no details about size or power of the speakers) Can I buy replacement speakers of the same size that will fit into the original mounting? What size speakers do I buy?

I don't want to start cutting holes in the parcel shelf (my car looks totally original)

you can get some JBL replacements. dont know the model number but go into halfords and you'll see them. they look like a smaler version of the oval 6x9 speaker.

rear speakers in a Corrado are 6" x 4" as standard... most major makes have versions available in this size, so have a listen to a few... 8) For the £66 that VW want for a standard pair (probably Nokia) you'll get a nice set of much better ones... ;)

My store (Halfords) had the JBL's that jedi is on about. They were on the cheap cause they were old stock. They were reduced to £19.99 from £47.99 and they are JBL GTO6425e. The Halfords item code is 726676 but i think you'll be lucky to get some. The only thing is that you have to "slightly" modify the plastic shelf bit that holds them. A bit fiddly but worth it. HTH

same headunit as kevhaywire i think

anyway... no you dont need to get 50w speakers...any car speaker will be fine. the power rating on the back is what they will handle before blowing up and in the real world of normal car hifi set ups...it doesnt really mean anything. JBL are good and will sound loads better than the nokia ones..

personally i run kenwoods all round but thats just what i already had.

I've got JBLs all around in my Corrado and it's got a really nice sound to it... 8)

No JBL's!

I've phoned all the Halfords stores near me and there's none left, but I have ordered some Alpine 4"x6" speakers from Braybrooks car audio in Hertford. It's part of Alpines new range £39 a pair and they should fit without any alteration to the original Corrado mounting....result!

be prepared though, if they are like 120watts then you may need to cut the basket to make the magnet fit...

VW charge too much..i think the older speakers were low wattage..its wierd because theres no wires going to my rear left speaker at all and i've put mb qaurts in which cost me £50. so i had to run a new wire along...perhaps vw forgot? :|

I don't mind making small alterations to the mountings, I was already prepared to do that for the JBL's.

Speakers In! No alterations needed, sound ok (no better, no worse than the originals)

Alpine APSXE4625S 6"X4" 150 Watt Peak Power (20 Watts RMS) £33

polk also do a set although you'd be hard pressed to get a set. Jus got a set of polk ex components for the front, £239, but the sound is stunning.. and a completely perfect fit

Talking about speakers...

The other day while i was cleaning up my dashboard i noticed that it is possible to fit speakers into it... :o

I doesn´t seem to be very easy... :?

But i would like to do it!

Probably some midrange or tweeters... 8)

What size are they? :?:

Advices needed... :roll:

!0 cm speakers will fit with a bit of modification i think. Well, that's what I'm doing anyway 8) Hope this helps mate

I personally fell that spending money upgrading you rear speakers is a waste of time, go for the fronts first at least.