Stonejag

Removing foglights from bumper - tips?

I'm down to the last screw on a (late-style) front foglight and the stupid thing's rusted into the speed nut :bad-words: Soaked in copious WD40 for a few days but no joy.

Had the same problem on the other side: I started drilling the head off the screw but it heated it up enough for it to just pull through the plastic surround! Luckily the lens was broken on that one so it wasn't an issue, but the other one is mint so I'd like to avoid damaging it if possible. Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Stone

Easy-Out or drill out I'm afraid...

You need to use stainless screws really these days on the lights especially

---------- Post added at 9:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:31 PM ----------

What you need to buy...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No10-x-5-8-4-8x16mm-PAN-HEAD-SELF-TAPPING-SCREWS-A4-STAINLESS-STEEL-10-PACK-/290675127665?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item43ad967571

Just to close this off, I had the bumper off anyway so I did succeed in the end!

The speednuts have a round folded-back section on the very back which holds a bolt thread between itself and the rear of the speednut. I ended up grinding away at the rear of the clip until I'd cut away all the protruding screw, then a bit more to remove the round piece on the back of the clip. After that there was only a tiny lip holding the screw in so I could get it out from the front normally. Sneaky :)

As a tip for those reading this thread in future - grinding generates a lot of heat and you need to stop the speed nut getting too hot or it'll melt the bumper skin. Luckily I realised before it did too much damage (and I can still get a replacement nut onto it) but it's something to be aware of!

Stone