jonnykillpop

Correct Wiring for back of Alternator

Hello, did check threads but could'nt find answer on this.

My alternator appears to have given up the ghost, looks like the original VW one. Getting a new one on weekend but notice mine only has 1 wire going to the 2 pin plug, the blue one. It worked fine before the alternator gave up, it still runs fine at mo but only running off battery and alt. not charging.

What's the other pin for, is it a prob. mine only has one?

Which pin should the blue wire go to?

The blue wire is the exciter wire I think so that's the important one. Car had new engine, suspension, and rebuild and respray etc. recently before I got it, so maybe someone's Heath Robinsoned the electrics a bit, but everything works perfect, electrically and otherwise, even the sunroof, heater, rear spoiler etc.

Also are the proper VW multi plugs available anywhere as the plug is cracked and lost it's spring clip bit.

P.S. What's the easiest way to change alternator, looks like you've got to jack engine up after loosening drivers side mount, maybe all mounts, or would taking inlet manifold off give you access.

Heard someone say it's easier to take the whole front panel off, and get it from front.

Thanks,

I think the other pin is for a rev counter, but it's not connected to anything. There are other ways of measuring revolutions. It's sometimes known as the W terminal.

As for changing the alternator, I did it by removing the bumper and fron panel. Not too hard once you've done it a few times before! You don't need to remove the radiator or anything.

Cheers, got look at another one and as you say other pin not used. Was thinking bout font panel off but in end not much too much hassle to jack engine up bit with mounts disconnected, helps mines got aftermarket cone filter, so more room with light out just needed couple of inches

I think the other pin is for a rev counter, but it's not connected to anything. There are other ways of measuring revolutions. It's sometimes known as the W terminal.

As for changing the alternator, I did it by removing the bumper and fron panel. Not too hard once you've done it a few times before! You don't need to remove the radiator or anything.

Hi, is that a VR6? I'm interested that you managed it with just jacking it up. I'm going to have to do my alternator again as it has shorted out and it's only 3 months old but stuck in a side street. Would rather not remove the bumper this time.

Any more details on how you did this would be appreciated.

BTW, forgot to answer your earlier question about the VW plugs. I reckon you could get them from the dealer. I know you can get repair wires and terminals. You can also get some of them here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/housings.php

I took the drivers side light out, disconnected the rear drivers side mount (I took out the two 13 mm bolts that connect the mount at bottom rather than top one as can get too easier from bottom without having to take off strut brace, intake system etc. but mine ad new mount few months back so they were'nt going to snap, though if did you could put nuts and bolts in unllike top mount where you basically shafted if it snaps), loosened the passenger side front mount with the allen bolt from bottom which should move fine and not snap (this probs. is'nt essental but saves over stretching that mount). Untension the belt tensioner and take belt off that and alternator (longish bolt in the threaded hole, 13mm standard threead from memory and tighten down to untension), undo 2 alternator bolts, jack up, maybe couple of inches at most will do it and you've room to lift out from top, was easy enough bout an hour maybe. Mines a VR6 yeah with big cone filter, if you've got standard filter may have to remove that too, but reckon you'd have room, mines got cold air feed pipes to front of filter had to take them off only.

Even if take bumper and front off you'd still have to jack up to have enough room to get alternator bolts out side I reckon.

I've done the bumper and front off method and didn't need to do anything with the mounts, but since I'm on the street this time round I did it the engine mount method. I only took the front mount bolt out from the top and jacked it up a few inches. Hopefully I haven't stressed the rear or gearbox mount too much doing this. It was only jacked up for a minute or two.

Hopefuly be fine, you'll feel it if you've knackered it. If you have knackered your drivers side mount, can I blag the top plate which is probably OK, I got a brand new VW one BUT THE

---------- Post added at 1:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:22 PM ----------

Hopefuly be fine, you'll feel it if you've knackered it. If you have knackered your drivers side mount, can I blag the top plate which is probably OK, I got a brand new VW one but the top plate's wrong angle, probs. for a VR6 Golf or something, so had to drill out and re thread old top plate, which is'nt ideal, that was the bit that's knackered.

---------- Post added at 1:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:27 PM ----------

Hopefuly be fine, you'll feel it if you've knackered it. If you have knackered your drivers side mount, can I blag the top plate which is probably OK, I got a brand new VW one but the top plate's wrong angle, probs. for a VR6 Golf or something, so had to drill out and re thread old top plate, which is'nt ideal, that was the bit that's knackered.