goozie

Guru advice

Have recently picked a set of VDO gauges from a vw breakers, they have the relevant wiring with them but only about 6" of it! have managed to find a wiring diagram on the site which is very helpful, my question is to do with oil pressure switch! i have read that alot about duel pole senders but i was wondering if i can do it from a single pole? and which one? i know there are 2 senders on top of the oil filter housing, (high and low) but i just need to know which one? my other question is! is it possible to do the wirirng behind the dash with out tracing wires into the engine bay? if so any pointer as to where and the wire colours?

you need a variable-output pressure sender, not just the 'trip-switch' type senders on the car as standard, so you either need the twin-connection or dual-pole sender (which has a built in low-pressure trip-sensor and a variable output), or a T-piece so you can screw in a variable output pressure sender too.

Some cars have the extra wire already in the loom, blue/white IIRC which runs from the existing pressure switches to behind the fuseboard, otherwise you need to make everything up.

with the variable sensor make sure you get the right range, there are two, 0-5 and 0-10 bar AFAIK, yoiu need one to match the scale on your gauge, usually 0-10.

If you get a dual pole one, make sure the fixed pressure switch value matches the old switch you remove or your dash warning buzzer for low oil pressure will go off!

pressure switch values are all embossed on the base of the switches. switches are usually around 0.25 and 1.8 bar, and the two values provide warning of low pressure at idle and above 2,500 rpm - ish

Edited by davidwort

many thanks for that, looks like i will have to get my self a new sender which is a bit of a bummer as i have recently replaced both switches!

can any one give me some pointers as to where i can get the said senders? i know it's lazy but it will save me time trawling the forum and the web!

vdo oil pressure 10 bar sender m10 x 1 w/c o.5

stock code 360081030009

Above Is the part you need BUT you might have to ring Merlin up as last time i asked them the part was out of stock

Merlin motorsport- there stock number from my invoice is 360081030009C description is VDO OIL PRESSURE SENDER 10 BAR M10X1 W/C 0.5 and was £65.20 delivered

thanks for all the help guys, have now ordered one from heritage for £49.10 with express delivery,i didn't realise until i had paid for it, that are only a short drive from me, oh well save's a trip i suppose!

next job will be wiring the bugger in with the vdo gauges! so please don't dissapear i may well call on you all again

once again many thanks

have recieved the pressure sender switch now and have installed it, no problems there, but i do have a problem with the wiring for the VDO gauges the wiring diagram that i found on here does not corrispond with wires that i have on the back of the unit and was hoping some would be able to shed some light on where they go for me? the wire colours are

All brown

Red and black

Brown and white

Black and white

any help will greatly be recieved

Assuming you have twin gauges, then brown is obviously earth, red and black should be the 12v ign switched supply. The others should be the feed out to the variable connection on the sender and illumination. You could just connect up the earth and then 12v to the others in turn to work out what is what, can't see I doing any harm as everything is 12v anyway.

There are markings on the back of the VDO gauge where the connector plugs in

G Druck = Feed from pressure sender

KL15 = 12v power supply

KL31 = Earth

KL58 = Gauge illumination

ok thanks guy's but have a slight issue with dave saying the brown is earth and jsc saying G druck is feed from sender, because they are they the same wire eg brown goes into the numer 1 slot whcih is marked G druck or am i being thick there!?

i also have another tech issue on the pressure switch it is marked g and mk i think? my question is which one for the gauges and which one for the buzzer or do you think it would be ok to just connect and find out!!

I'm probably wrong then, unusual to have a brown that isn't earth, but if the brown/ white corresponds to earth from Jsc's connections then that must be right, I think brown/ white is used as earth colour elsewhere in the car.

I've not fitted my gauges yet, but the info comes from others on this forum that i kept note of for when i do. Couple of threads that discuss the wiring:

Last post on pg 3: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?60580-ALL-SOLD!!-Last-5-RHD-Corrado-facelift-VDO-Gauges-%A3169-00-each-including-postage/page3

And more info: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?13167-My-new-VDO-Gauges/page3&highlight=VDO+Gauges