Craig

Which active sub?

Just the unit itself. It's a sub and amp all packaged in a box ready to go. Even comes with all the cables you need (well almost, power cable is a bit short).

If your head unit has a pre-out (a pair of RCA connectors on the back) you can plug the amp into there. If it doesn't (cheap or factory units don't normally) Alpine include some instructions so that you can splice into the existing rear speaker cables. This is how I tested it and it works very well (these cables are also included). An RCA lead isn't included however.

So basically £100 is all you need.

Edited by OllieVR6

Yeah :thumbleft:

I would assume you'll put it in the boot, so you run a power lead from battery to boot.

Also run a remote turn on lead from the head unit to the boot (the harness in your head unit should have a short blue cable not doing anything. It's that one).

Then pull away the side carpets in the boot, on each side you splice the included RCA leads into each existing rear speaker cable.

Lastly, there is a ground cable that needs to be attached, I added it to a ground point behind the carpet on the drivers side. I think it's for the central locking.

When I install mine properly I'll take some pictures but it wont be for a few days as I'm tied up this weekend.

To add to this thread, after some rubbish weekends of bad weather, today was lovely and I finally got round to installing the sub with Jason VR.

As the sub is an active enclosure, it contains an amp and is literally plug and play from the head unit.

The wiring kit it comes with is very good but as said, the power cable is short of what is needed. Everything else is fine. But you will need an RCA cable too. I decided to just buy a sub wiring kit from halfords for about £20 with a much better power cable and RCA cables.

We ran the power cable down the passenger side by the door and the RCA through the centre tunnel.

The unit has a remote and I ran this through the rear seats and I've left it under the rear hump.

I've cut the carpet away on the bottom of the sub and used some sticky back Velcro and secured it to the boot carpet

My stereo was ok before, good midtones and clarity yet lacked bass, when we fired this up, all I can say is wow, this is the first sub I've had so I might be easily pleased but it ticks all the boxes

The sounds are immense. It transforms my stereo and provides that much needed base, the unit is small and compact and takes up minimal boot space, the rear Velcro cover hides away all wires for a very neat install.

The remote wire is very long allowing you to pretty much install it where ever you wanted and allows precise control of just exactly how much base you want from the sub.

I like mine subtle so I set it, walked around the car with the doors closed and was happy the noise was not obtrusive then I've put the sub remote away under the rear bench hump. I might locate it upfront for ease of control of different tracks but we will see, my stereo allows control of the sub if needed.

Overall I'm chuffed to bits. it was well worth the £90 and I can't recommend it enough

e7ca308e06a4de80c963ae4360d07efd.jpg

Edited by Craig

That's really neat. I need my boot a lot so when looking for a solution I couldn't fit anything like that so I installed a Kenwood SW01 in the armrest which works well, but you need to loose the first aid kit so I fitted a plastic skin into it for rigidity made from an old Tupperware style cereal container.

2012-07-29215536.jpg

And with arm rest down it rests about an inch higher up it you'd never notice to be honest.

2012-07-29215519.jpg

Sounds great, and so easy to wire up using the tunnel to run the cables.

I've got the phono down one side and power down the other, then the ground is attached to one of the rear seat bolts.

There's a little remote control which is tucked up into the tunnel by my left knee, but once set you can fiddle with the levels using the head unit as my alpine has all sorts of equalising and crossovers etc.

My invoice doesnt actually say but With out checking my bank statement, pretty sure it was from online car audio

http://www.online-caraudio.co.uk/shop/subwoofers/alpine/powered-subwoofers/alpine-swe-815-amplified-subwoofer-1041118.html

Delivery was free :)

I did look at those slim subs and wondered about fitting it under the arm rest. Great space solution.

If anyone is thinking of doing a sub+ separate amp, I can recommend the jl 10w3v3 it takes up only a bit more room than the alpine.

6F4A9236-A9A2-4FF4-B6F2-4E4D5CE998EC-1312-0000015777E76A96_zps8f1ff320.jpg

emamenas.jpg

Going to get one of these soon but with the power wire being to small in length what gauge wire kit do i need?

Cheers

Jon