Hofmiester

Slam panel removal?

Hi guys,

Looking at options for getting my slam panel re-sprayed as the edge under the headlamps has some big chips and it has some rust around the radiator mounting point.

Not bad, and could easily be repaired but I've seen slam panels dirt cheap and so it might be cheaper for me to buy one, clean it and prep it, have it painted and then fit it myself.

If it a case of just removing the bumper, then the headlights and grille etc before slam panel or is it also attached tot he radiator etc?

Cheers

Ron

You'll need the bumper off, bonnet cable off, radiator support brackets (top ones) & thats about it. Fiddley but not a massive job and satisfaction knowing you've done it right ;)

Just make sure you get the right slam panel as they are different for different engines.

Radiator has two brackets on top that bolt to the panel (and slots into two lugs on the radiator support frame that sits beneath the slam panel).

From memory there are 10 x 10mm bolts holding the slam panel on. One each side in the bay by the chassis legs, four on the top and four behind the bumper/grill in the middle facing you when lookin straight on.

You will also need to undo the bonnet release cable.

Just start taking stuff off basically. It's fairly logical / not rocket science what needs to come off.

I should write some more 'how to' guides :lol:

Just make sure you get the right slam panel as they are different for different engines.

Can anyone confirm that the later slam panels are model specific or not? I've found one in Blackberry but it is from a 16V however the breaker says there is no difference in the late spec slam panel, just that you can't use an early slam panel (16V, G60) on a VR6.

Thanks

Ron

I always thought the VR6 had a different shaped panel as the rad is bigger and goes in at an angle, but i don't know that for definite.

yep can confirm that too. Replaced my slam panel couple of weeks ago, got sent a non vr one and the rad mounting was miles off and the shape was different on the top part in places