timthetinyhorse

changing rear discs

Hi all,

whilst getting all my winter work done i have decided to do the discs and pads all round, obviously the fronts are straight forward but are the rears??

Do i have to change the bearings ar the same time??

Cheers

Hi all,

whilst getting all my winter work done i have decided to do the discs and pads all round, obviously the fronts are straight forward but are the rears??

Do i have to change the bearings ar the same time??

Cheers

you need to press the shells of the bearings into the new disc. one on the front of the disk one on the rear. with the right sized socket you should be able to tap them in.

really not worth using the old bearings, just buy new from VW. you may need new ABS rotors too which attach to the rear of the disk.

Worth getting your hands on a piston wind in tool as well as the rear calliper pistons dont just push in..

You can get a laser line one from halfords..

Id also personally recommend replacing all the bolts you have to touch..

Worth getting your hands on a piston wind in tool as well as the rear calliper pistons dont just push in..

You can get a laser line one from halfords..

Id also personally recommend replacing all the bolts you have to touch..

Indeed, definitely worth replacing your carrier bolts as you never know what state the old 1's will be in if you have to wrestle them out ;)

Good luck with the caliper carrier bolts. They are Allen head bolts and they will not want to come out. I did mine recently and finished up using Irwin Bolt Grippers to get them out. They are a right faff to get at and when you do the Allen key is a cert to round out the socket in the bolt. Everything else is straightforward as above. Just tap the ABS ring into place on the rear of the hub.

Edited by leon263

Good luck with the caliper carrier bolts. They are Allen head bolts and they will not want to come out. I did mine recently and finished up using Irwin Bolt Grippers to get them out. They are a right faff to get at and when you do the Allen key is a cert to round out the socket in the bolt. Everything else is straightforward as above. Just tap the ABS ring into place on the rear of the hub.

I too had trouble with the bolts but after fighting a loosing battle with them to begin with i gave up & had a quick trip to local auto suppliers. i got 1 of the correct size allen key's that have a socket end so it fits into a socket wrench......makes the job so much easier with the right tools lol :D

I too had trouble with the bolts but after fighting a loosing battle with them to begin with i gave up & had a quick trip to local auto suppliers. i got 1 of the correct size allen key's that have a socket end so it fits into a socket wrench......makes the job so much easier with the right tools lol :D

indeed i have a set of these :-)

cheers for advice guys