corradlo

16v kr clutch change advice

Gents, does anybody have a good guide on removing my kr gearbox, i need to change release bearing so will do clutch at the same time!

Thanks in advance

Ok, its been a while since i did mine, but this is how i would tackle it, Get the car as high as you can on axle stands plenty of clearance needed! Battery disconected, driveshafts of the box, any earth straps or wiring disconected, jack placed under sump with a wooden plate so as not to dent the sump. take off gearbox mount then front engine mount to lower the engine then gearbox bolts off making sure you support the box then it should come off, Make sure you have a clutch aligning tool to replace clutch and i would check seals on gearbox for leaks and crankshaft seal on engine side for leaks as its all easy to replace at this stage and cheap enough from ecp, dont get a cheap clutch, false economy!! Take your time as its a heavy job but easy enough.

An engine support beam makes this job a lot easier and safer, if you only need it once you can sell it on for not much less, I bought one for about 60 quid delivered.

a clutch centering tool isn't needed you can make do with sockets and tape to pad them out, it only has to be roughy centred.

before you start make sure you have a spline tool that fits the driveshaft bolts nicely and disconnect the battery, engine must be supported before removing the starter motor as the bolts go through to the front engine mount

If you have never taken a gearbox off before and are planning on doing it on the ground with haxle stands , its not a nice job. If you know someone who has done it before then try and get help of them. Its a heavy brute of a thing to be sitting on your chest while trying to allign it.

Easy with 2 people, slightly more difficult doing it alone even if you are a bit hench! I've done mine with a block of wood under the sump and a jack supporting it. Know many people who have done it that way.

Thanks for the advice gents, just what I was looking for! I will be doing this at home on axle stands :(. but I will have people to help so should be able to do it.

joby thanks for that, straight to the point, will help loads.