VAG-hag

very slight coolant leak is baffling me, please help

So I am a little embarrassed to be asking about this but ill get over it im sure :)

I have a very slight leak that I can not pin down. I have had the car up to running temp and can see no leak or dripping but when I leave it and go back after a week there is a small pool underneath. If I leave it ie not running the engine at all it does not drop any more. I replaced the crack pipe, stat, stat housing, pipes to/ from heat exchanger, sender housing and all gaskets last summer and its been fine until I spotted the 1st little pool a few weeks ago.

Anybody had similar symptoms?

What about the sender seals if its coming from that general area, also you wernt overzealous with the torquing up of the bolts on the stat housing were you and have cracked the plastic?

Is the new thermostat housing a genuine one? The one I got (Topran I think) didn't fit together perfectly so I stuck some ThreeBond around the edges and haven't seen a drip since.

its probably not going to leak when its warm because of heat expansion so best look when its cold or on first start up, use paper towel in areas you think it could be leaking and check them, checked the core plugs?

I find the hard to spot leaks can be on the back of the rad, pipes going into aux water pump and the temp sender on the side of radiator.

Am trying to find a leak on mine at the moment, but everything is pretty much new so still looking/tightening things

all parts used were genuine and new at the time.

Owner 85, I did keep a close eye on it while it warmed up but nothing came out until i left it overnight.

cheers for the threebond hint Neil :thumbleft:

Jon, well worth checking that I havent cracked the housing - good call!

I plan to change the gearbox oil this w/e so will have a closer look at the cooling system then - thanks all!! :)

cheers for the threebond hint Neil :thumbleft:

Can get you some cheap if you want :p

Sheet of cardboard underneath?

My bets would be on the top radiator outlet (or next to it, where the mount slots in) or the water pump end of the crack pipe. Neither of them fit desperately well!

Stone

I find the cardboard doesn't always help as most leaks seem to end up on top of gearbox or running along the rad support panel.

I find a good way is to go for a spirited drive then come back and look for steam

Puff some talc around the suspect areas, leaks should show up as tracks in it plus your engine will smell nice. :|

I can see where the coolant is landing but as said I think its making its way down other engine bits pre drip. I like the sound of the talc but I like the sound of the spirited run more :lol:

As ever thanks guys :thumbleft:

Do you use the spring clips on the hoses or jubilee clips?

I used jubilee ones and seem to keep finding ones I can tighten up a bit more.