maff

Stealth overbore

I've just been doing a bit of a search on overbores and the mahle 82.5 pistons which is what I have in my vr, so before the rebuild the standard bore was 2861cc now with the 82.5 mm overbore it should now be 2943.5cc right?

The rebuild was done by stealth back in 2004/5 and has now covered 75,000 and has been run on 10w/40 synta semi synth.

Can I expect I expect a bit of oil consumption with these miles now? and would the valve stem seals be past thier best by now also?

All my vr6,s have used oil but I haven't done enough mileage in the one I have now to check, but would be nice if it didnt use too much:-)

To be honest I think it is pot luck, my last VR6 had to have the engine completely rebuilt at 70K as the bores and rings were buggered, it was rebuilt at AMD. After that, it didnt use a drop right up to 100K when it was stolen :(

My current VR6 has 140K on the bottom end, new head fitted at 105K and on 5w-30 it was using about 500ml in 1000 miles (previous owners info) on 10w-40 since I have had it, it hasnt used any in 700 miles.

Wierd eh some use and some don't?!

In comparison my 330d is on 168,000 now and uses a quarter of a litre every 15,000 not bad huh!

Fingers crossed my vr isn't an oil muncher then, ill report back!

Blimey if it is and i do the nurburgring trip in her that will be a serious oil bill:-(