Simon vr6

Radiator Fan

Hi guys just wondered if someone would be able to give me a bit of advice!

Was driving the VR this morning and got stuck in some traffic and the radiator fan came on (normal i know). But as i carried on driving i could still the fans going, so stopped the car to see what was going on. Cheked water levels and oil levels, all fine. Temp of engine was running fine just under 100c. Turned engine back on radiators still going and now they come on every time i start the engine.

Anyone any ideas to what I can do to sort this problem, any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers Simon

I am having a simlar problem mine comes on after about ten seconds of the engine running ( didnt notice any unusual behaviour before though)

I have tried unpluging the rad temp switch and the yellow, blue and black switches in the thermostat housing but it made no difference. so i think the only thing left is the fan control unit?

try unpluging them switches to find out if its one of them causing the problem, the thermostat housing is just under the inlet manifold on the passenger side. and the rad fan switch is halfway down the rad on the passenger side.

let me know if you find the problem. im going to start looking into the control unit ill post up what i find.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 4:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:00 PM ----------

also found this on google search:

Things that keep the fans on

First, check fuses. On top of the battery there is a fuse block. The 1st green fuse on the left is for fan operation. Take it out, check it for heat damage. A lot of times the fuse won't blow, but there will be heat damage to the fuse and holder. If there's damage, you have had an high current draw and the relay might be stuck or the fan(s) are binding.

While we are there, with the fuse out spin the fans by hand and see if they do anything but spin free. If binding, replace the fan. A high draw from a binding fan will burn out new components in the same way.

With the fuse back in, check the fuse panel on the drivers' side of the dash. One at a time pull fuse #5, #16 and #25 and check them. If one of them blows, the fans can run unexpectedly.

Still running?

A/C- If your a/c button is on, this would keep the fans on always. Turn off the climate control system, make sure the A/C switch is off too.

Still running? Go under the hood and unplug the A/C pressure switch. It's on an A/C line just before it enters the cabin. If you unplug it and the fans stop this is your issue.

Still running?

Next would to unplug the rad. thermo. switch. It's on the drivers side of the radiator about a foot down from the upper rad hose. It screws into the radiator and has a triangular connecter. Unplug it. If the fans go off, this is your issue.

Still running?

After you are SURE everything else checks out, last cause would be to replace the fan control module. It's the block right next to the thermo switch you just fooled with, the connecter is facing up.

a bad coolant temp sensor might do this too