sam2.0

head bolts

I've asked VW what head bolts my 2.0 16v 9a needs and I've been told their system says M11 x 1.5 x 142, which superseeds an older part, which he says shows no info.

After looking online, using GSF etc, it seems the bolts should be M11 x 1.5 x 149.5 (or 150), part no 027103385C. This also is confirmed via vagcat.

I plan on changing the head gasket, and fitting the metal one, are these thicker, hence the additional length?

Also, if I get the head skimmed, I imagine I'll need to take the exhaust of the side of the head, rather than the join after the manifold, so I'd need to get 4x single gaskets, rather than the 1x 2 port gasket?

Thanks.

ETA: Vagcat says engine numbers after 131 263 require the above part number (which mine is), and prior engine numbers need 027103385 (without the C) which have the 142mm length. Unfortuantly, it doesn't list the length for the newer part number.

Never had any issue with different head bolts on my 1.8 o 2.0 L Corrado blocks, only ever ordered the standard golf mk2 16v head bolts and I've used a variety of gaskets, metal MK 3 one on my 2L block right now, possibly different on the golf3 tall block abf engine ???

Do you know the part number or the length of the ones you've used?

Also the part number for the gasket. Just looking now, the vagcat site suggests, when fitting the metal gasket (048103383D) to use 027103385, which are the shorter bolts.

Edited: changed "longer" to "shorter"!

Edited by sam2.0

They changed the bolts with the MK3 type metal gaskets - you just need to lookup via your engine number if it's a late car -

Info in link below

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_gaskets.php

Going by that, I need the Febi 01836. Annoying, some sites show them as 142mm some show 150mm! But vwspares says it replaces 053103385, which are 142mm on vagcat.

I wonder why, or what's different about them, there's next to no difference in gasket thickness between the original and the metal ones, I used a MK 3 gasket but standard 16v bolts, perhaps the tall blocks do use longer bolts, but that wouldn't apply to a 6A or 9A short block ??

Ended up ordering from VW direct for the bolts. To confirm, VW state it needs 142MM 053103385 (no C on the end). £6.32 per bolt.

Got a genuine new gasket from ebay for £20, VW wanted £44.