G60rob

Steering rack problem

The metal fluid pipes to the rack on my G60 corroded through and the PAS fluid leaked out. The first I knew of it was a loud grinding noise when steering. Local garage couldn't source new pipes so they had braided flexibles made up, but the noise remained. Conclusion: the pump must have disliked running without luid so they fitted a new pump. Still noisy. They say the rack seals are not leaking but they've decided it must need a new rack. This is getting expensive.

So far they've tried two reconditioned racks, one of them from Germany apparently, and neither fitted. They've now got a third on order. I gave them the number of Power Racks Direct (they hadn't heard of them) but I don't know if they've tried them yet.

I'm hoping to speak to the garage boss tomorrow to try and find out what's going on (they don't keep me informed, I think they're embarassed, having had the car for three weeks now).

As I say it's a 1992 G60, NK010364. Somewhere in the past I seem to remember reading that the splines connecting the steering column to the rack changed at some point, and I wonder if this is their problem. Or are they trying to fit a VR6 rack, and is this different, as one of the mechanics wondered?

In any case, would a worn out rack cause a grinding noise like a worn PAS pump?

Can anyone help me sort them out? Though whether they'll listen to advice is debatable. As they say "You can always tell a Yorkshireman..but not much."

Edited by G60rob

I too would like to know if there is any difference between the G60 rack and the vr6 rack any advice would be much appreciated. Thank's

VR rack is completely different...

I doubt the rack needs changing and pipes are usually easy to get hold of... like these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-steering-rack-pipes-for-VW-Golf-mk2-Corrado-Passat-to-1992-/221182479611?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337f80ccfb

The pumps don't like running dry and you need to prime them with new fluid but often the noise disappears once it's been driven - are they using the correct VW green fluid?

Edited by Supercharged

Thank's regarding the colour of the fluid pretty sure it was green but will have to double check. In a previous post on my build thread you said you had driven my car do you know if stoney kept the G60 beam etc and just added drilled hub's as it is 5x100 stud pattern not 4x100 if that is the case am i correct in assuming it is a G60 steering rack i remember reading in his build thread he done a refurb on the rack any info is much appreciated.

VR rack is completely different...

I doubt the rack needs changing and pipes are usually easy to get hold of... like these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-steering-rack-pipes-for-VW-Golf-mk2-Corrado-Passat-to-1992-/221182479611?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337f80ccfb

The pumps don't like running dry and you need to prime them with new fluid but often the noise disappears once it's been driven - are they using the correct VW green fluid?

Thanks Supercharged, I've ordered a pair of those pipes.

I've spoken with the garage boss who confirms they've had two racks that didn't fit, I don't know why, and confessed he'd lost the number for Power Racks that I gave him, but apparently didn't have the gumption to ring me and ask for it again!

As he's already fitted a new PAS pump which didn't cure the noise I've told him to stop throwing money at it when he doesn't know what the cause is and re-fit my old rack with the correct pipes. I'll drive it for a while and see if the noise goes away. I asked him what fluid they used but he didn't know, just said the mechanic would have looked it up and used the correct stuff, so I'll check that when I get it back.

If all else fails I'll have to find a place that knows Corrados but I don't think there are any in this neck of the woods. Any thoughts on where the nearest reliable outfit is? I haven't been impressed by C&R or Jabba in the past.