Hofmiester

Advice needed, how to fix broken ABS connector?

Hi guys,

Ever since I bought my car last year, I have had the odd ABS light on situation. This has gotten more and more frequent until now it is just on all the time.

I used VCDS to read faults and it was saying that all the sensors are reporting bad readings which suggested to me it is a connector issue.

Pulled the connector today to find 2 wires broken and several look to have been Chewed?

gyvu8uzu.jpg

radu8azy.jpg

Any ideas on how I can fix this as break point is almost flush with the connector and so no wire left to re-join :(

Can you prise the blade terminals out of the connector with a miniature screwdriver? If they'll come out it won't be too tricky to cut back the broken wires and replace with new terminals.

Unlike most connectors on the car, the back of these seems to be filled with some kind of Epoxy, probably to stop water ingress.

It looks a right bitch to fix this one!

Can you cut one off a breaker with a bit of spare cable and just join them together - properly solder the connections and then protect each one with heatshrink and then wrap over with loom tape.

Hi Jim, yeah I think that is my last resort although I was hoping there would be a less severe fix.

Does anyone know if driving with this cable disconnected would cause any issues? I ask as MOT on my car is not due until MAY and so it gives me some time to find a breaker to get the connector from.

Should I disconnect a sensor so that the ABS control unit shuts the ABS down?

I'd take out the abs relays rather than fiddle with connectors in the engine bay to disable the abs, they're nice and dry under the dash (passenger side.)

I'd take out the abs relays rather than fiddle with connectors in the engine bay to disable the abs, they're nice and dry under the dash (passenger side.)

Hi David,

I read on the Vortex that the power to the ABS also is linked to a few other systems in the car. I also read that disabling the power to the ABS also takes out the brake booster and so makes the brakes super crappy.....not sure in how much trush there is on the Vortex though ;)

You could try and purchase a new wiring loom as most of them are still available at WV main dealers,

I bought a new loom for my Corrado, the head light switch loom as the wires had burnt due to a short,

it cost me around £80.00 for the new loom from VW.

But yeah I'd say your best bet is to get a second hand loom or connector plug and do it that way as Jim has said,

a lot of the wiring looms are on Ebay.

Si :thumbleft:

I was given a tip when splicing together two bit of loom like that, and it was to stagger the joins so you don't end up with one big thick clump of joins at the same point on the wire.

may be obvious but i didn't think of it, so passing the tip on