Swompy

Think my battery is F**ked

Went to start the corrado up today and I knew the battery was flat as I run out of fuel to start the car to charge it.

So got some fuel and with help from a friends car with a jump start we fired her up. left her ticking over for 10-15mins then quickly took her up and down the road when up to temp. After that turned her off and started working on the sound system for my friends car before starting mine.

Then I went to start the rado up to move it and she wouldn't fire up. All the lights in the dash would light up and I could hear a clicking sound behind me and in the engine bay (fuel and ignition I'm guessing) but the engine wasnt turning over. So tried starting her several times and got nothing.

Eventually got her going by jump starting but every time we disconnected one of the jump leads the car would stall. So reconnected it and started her up again and waiting 5 mins and tried again but same result. Also tried it with me holding the revs high but she would rev for a bit then the dials would go all funny and then the car would die.

Going to try it with the battery out of my golf tomorrow but im guessing the one in there now is fooked.

Any other suggestions?

I don't think a dead battery will cause the car to die whilst its running. sounds more like a wiring failure or something to me. would be worth checking the voltage at the fusebox as a starting place.

But why would it run fine first then only as I went to restart it, it would play up?

Try another battery and see what happens ?

At least this will tell you if this is the battery or not.

It sound's like the battery mate When you took it for drive did your steering feel heavy? if so it could your alternator but it just sound's like battery.

l will be tomorrow Wendy :)

See - all these techie guys - when just a bit of straight thinking logic is required............... lol

Think I will sign out now - before I get the backlash !!! :D

Hope its a simple resolve - like just the battery.

make sure connections are tight, how olds your battery? , i replaced mine last year as it was cranking very very slowly to the point of " oh shh i hope this starts!!"

and i had no idea how old it was, fitted a new battery and it now sounds like the starter motor is on steroids!! and starts almost instantly! massive difference in the way the car starts up,

The battery is only a year or 2 old as it was new with the engine. Will try a different battery and see where I go from there

Try the other battery as Wendy says. Once it's running I would check the alternator output to make sure it's giving enough charge to the battery, should be around 14 - 14.5 volts with the engine running.. If not check the drive belt to make sure it's tight, if that's OK get the alternator checked out.