G60radoboi

What are my rights?

I think I may be a little screwed here but would appreciate some advice. So as some of you know I recently purchased a blue corrado valver. Stupidly I went on the guys word that all electrics etc on the car work just fine. On the day I collected the car i realised the electric mirrors didn't work. The seller proceeded to rifle through the fusebox and produced a fuse saying that was all that needed replacing. Checked fuses today and there is nothing wrong with the fuses so I have no idea where he produced it from.

Secondly the exhaust is suddenly blowing from from somewhere so it needs replacing, have already bought a new one, and to my horror I have discovered that the drivers side headlight and side repeaters do not work. Switched the headlight bulb and still nothing, works when highbeam engaged only (wiring?) and the side repeaters don't even have any wiring???!!! Now my question is how in the name of all that is holy did this car get through an MOT???!!!

I have now spent over a thousand pounds in parts to get the car up to standard but I feel I have been fleeced by the seller. I know I should have probably checked on the day I bought it but looking at the MOT certificate you would assume all is in order. I feel like contacting the seller and telling him I am going to proceed with contacting my lawyer and the ombudsman because clearly there has been some dodgy dealings going on here especially with the MOT testing station.

Am I right to want to do this or am I basically screwed? I love the car but there is a serious amount of work to do on it albeit small jobs I don't have the space at home to do this living in central London. What are my options please guys?

Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware. You don't have a leg to stand on to be honest!

Figured it may be the case. I have all the stuff to sort it, just the headlight now has me confused and I was not prepared for the side repeaters. Oh well, will suck it up and sort it I guess lol. You live and you learn I guess. I was so eager to own a corrado I ran into this one blind. Never fear, next time I shall be more aware.

My wife had a similar problem where a car she had purchased had a seriously dodgy MOT issued about a month before she bought it. My mechanic went to the test centre involved and they agreed to pay for the cost of repairs. The main problem was seriously rusted an collapsing suspension arms. However the faults you have are of the "could happen any time" variety so this approach would probably not work. It's worth remembering that an MOT is really only valid at the time the vehicle is tested. e.g. Cat on for MOT, off again as soon as it's home.

My wife had a similar problem where a car she had purchased had a seriously dodgy MOT issued about a month before she bought it. My mechanic went to the test centre involved and they agreed to pay for the cost of repairs. The main problem was seriously rusted an collapsing suspension arms. However the faults you have are of the "could happen any time" variety so this approach would probably not work. It's worth remembering that an MOT is really only valid at the time the vehicle is tested. e.g. Cat on for MOT, off again as soon as it's home.

I hear what you are saying but looking at the exhaust it is blowing round the centre section so surely it should have been advised and considering there is NO wiring attached to the side repeaters and the fact that there was no working horn as it had an aftermarket steering wheel fitted surely I may have SOME recourse against the testing station? On the other hand could I be bothered to follow it up as it is far away from me so I may as well just sort it myself.

There is a certain amount of time you have to complain to vosa about the mot can't remember of the top of my head there is to scales too mechanical/non mechanical. I wouldn't get your hope's up mate ;)

It's maybe worth contacting the MOT centre for sure. I had a van that was rushed through and the guys at the centre didn't check lots of things. If there is a slight chance, sure why not.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but if the seller has MOT'd it, then removed some things after it - surely it wouldn't be legal to sell? For example if he MOT'd with a new exhaust, then replaced the old one, it wouldn't be a legal sell? I doubt he's done something like this - but it's worth checking out with the MOT centre.

I'm fairly certain that it is illegal knowingly to sell a car in an unroadworthy condition (presume to be defined by Construction and Use regulations) unless it is made clear at the time of sale.

Best wishes

RB

To be honest guys I aint even gonna bother with it. I already have all the bitsd to sort it and it wasn't too expensive. Save myself the headache of calling and arguing and everyone else denying stuff. I will happy in the knowledge that I have resolved the issues myself and when I sell on the new owner can at least be rest assured that all issues on car were sorted.