sankysvr6

Front Bumper Guidance

I want to remove my front bumper this weekend hopefully, to see if can get to fit better on the passenger side as the gap doesn’t look right.

I have looked at the guide bellow from the CCOC

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9393

But I just need some reassurance from anyone who has done it before.

1. Once I put the trolley jack under the engine carrier, I guess somewhere near the front engine mount. Is it okay to jack the car up one here, so that I can get my axle stands in.

2. Do I place the axle stand on either side of the engine carrier and lower the trolley jack, so the car is resting on the axle stands.

3. Once I remove the 2 bolts on each side of the engine carrier, should the bumper just come away.

P.S. Sorry if its been asked before.

I just jacked each side of car up as normal, from each side as if changing a wheel, then put an axle stand each side to hold car up.

Then just wedged another stand under the front member where you can see the engine mount. TBH its not a major worry, you can remove the axle stand and the engine won't fall out or anything.

---------- Post added at 2:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:45 PM ----------

Also to get bumper off you may find you need to undone some of the wheel arch liners bolts and also the ones along the front under splitter (i can't remember if those need to come off or not, but i took mine off as was redoing the splitter)

Took my bumper off yesterday, and the engine didn't fall out, nor did I need to hold the cross member with a jack!

When i changed my VR6 radiator i jacked up each side, as if changing a wheel, put each side at the front on axle stands & then raise the jack under the engine until it rests on it.

the engine shouldnt move with the jack not there but it is always good to take a little caution

You don't really need to support the engine, as the other bolts will hold the crossmember in place. Use a jack to support if worried, no real need for axle stands. Just don't drive it without the bumper or you may find your engine leaping out of the bay!

I'd recommend plenty of PlusGas/WD40 around the bolts the night before if the bumper has never been off before, along with a good socket (17mm) and big breaker bar.