JimVR6

front sub frame removal

Is there a guide anywhere for this? I roughly know what I need to do, but not 100% certain. I've managed to get the 3 bolts out either side on the bracket that holds the ARB bush in place, they came out pretty easily. What other things need undoing? Will the steering rack have to come out?

I was going to leave the ARB bushes and sub frame in place and just slide the wish bones out and do those but it makes sense to do it properly and taking the whole thing out will make life a lot easier.

cheers

4 bolts that hold the rack to the subframe, they have nuts on the top so they are a bit of a pain, and leave the rack hanging, better then taking it off cause with the fluid and steering coloum it's a real night mare, obviously the bottom ball joints need to come out, with a ball joint splitter there easy, and I'm not sure if the vr6s have an engine mount on the subframe to be honest, iv done g60s and 16v but not a vr, if it does then jack the engine up on the sump with a block of wood and undo it, then the 4 large main bolts that go into the chassis, 2 at the front which you need massive extensions for and 2 at the back which you don't, only ever done one not on a ramp, then engine was out and it was still a night mare, good luck!

I just took my engine out, made things 100x easier

erajygy4.jpg

Replaced all bushes / bolts / clamps and mounts, everything flew back together. Just finishing some other engine upgrades before it goes back in :)

Haha yes that has crossed my mind. I've decided it may be best to just take the lower arms out and do those bushes and just leave the sub frame on. I managed to wrestle the nearside one out this morning and I've dropped the sump in preparation for the offside one which I'll probably do tomorrow while the sumps off. The rear wish bone bush has split so I'll more than likely replace with OEM. There's some orange ones in at the moment which I think are some cheap "sport" ones. Anyone know the best place to find OEM bushes?

Jim

Yeah found them on GSF, although ECP were cheaper by about 2 quid and I can collect in store tomorrow so I went with them. How hard are they to replace? I'm guessing best way is to just saw through the existing bush.

Edit: I'm a bit dubious about the quality of ECP bushes though. Am I better going with vwspares.co.uk? They are Febi and should be a bit better..

Edited by JimVR6