JimVR6

sump gasket

Hello just taken my sump off to replace the gasket as it had a slight leak, do I need to use any sealant or is it just a case of slap on and away we go?

Jim

if its the rubber type gasket it should be reuseable (depending on condition of gasket). You can use some sealant to make sure but make sure its non setting, if you use silicone there is a risk of your oil pickup getting blocked.

Edited by chaos3oe

if you use sealant make sure both surfaces are degreased and clean otherwise its pointless, sealant doesnt stick to oil! also dont go mad with it , you dont want much if any otherwise when the two surfaces compress together the excess will just squirt out into the sump and thats not exaclty good for anything.

I'm going to not bother, just going to make sure both mating sufaces are very clean and get it lined up right. There is some previous gasket stuff on the sump pan that I have cleaned off and just waiting for it to come through now.

Does anyone know if you can get the fly wheel inspection cover gasket anywhere? It's the half moon shaped panel you take off to remove the sump, the gaskets split at the top.

Oh edit: I see this is more a dust seal and is not really needed, thats good news then.

Edited by JimVR6

If you use a 24V sump then you don't need a gasket at all, it just has a channel to take a little sealant machined into the top between the fixing holes.

Even better, it covers over the flywheel plate so you don't need that any more either :)

Stone

Plus they're baffled, plus they're nice and shiny, plus they hold a little more oil :) So long as you're not slammed then it's well worth it to avoid the rusty scratches on the stock one!

Anyone got a pic of the 24v sump on their VR. Is this suppose to be a better upgrade from standard sump ? If you install the 24v sump on a vr6 can you still rely on the dipstick to give you correct oil levels ?