Carter88

Help. N/s bonnet catch won't release!

Hi. As anyone else had same problem? Pulled cable with mole grips and o/s opened but n/s is solid. Tried pushing down on it while pulling cable and removed grille to get to the latch but still can not get to it. Thanks. Pete

I had this issue when the bonnet was open. Wouldn't shut properly and after some investigation realised the cable was catching in the "ring" it runs through by the catch. Seems to have sorted itself out though.

Hello Pete,

yeah I've had that problem before where my bonnet cable snapped off in side the car behind the fude box.

I did what you've done by taking out the front grill and had to open both catches with a screw driver & pliers.

I think I even had to cut through the cable guide which runs between both catches,

to expose the cable to be able to pull on it to open the N/S catch,

which is what you may have to do if your N/S catch won't open, sounds like yours is seized slightly.

I think theres two bonnet cables on the Corrado, one from the bonnet lever to the O/S catch,

and then another cable between the catches, I think that's right.

In which case I don't think you'll be able to apply enough pulling power to open the catch,

unless you expose that centre cable which runs under the slam panel.

You could try jacking the car up you might be able to reach the catch lever with a very long screw driver ?? May be ??

This is only as a last resort if any of the above don't work for you.

You could remove the N/S/F head light but in doing so this would mean the head light would be come damaged,

as you'll have to rip it out to gain access to the N/S bonnet catch.

Or may be you could cut some of the air flow guide away

(this is the plastic side surround on the sides of the radiator,

which directs all the air from the front grill in to the radiator)

So again you'll be able to gain access to that catch.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft:

Theres one cable that runs through the os catch then the ns catch. Pull at the cable really hard from behind the grille if that doesnt work get someone to push down on the side that doesnt open while you pull from the grille area

Hi G60raddoboi, Si and Jonvr6. Thanks for your replies. I forgot to mention its a Lhd car and I can not seem to reach or see the catch or cable because there is 2 rads ( one must be the A/C rad). I was thinking of breaking the headlight but want to keep it really cause that lhd pattern to keep car original.

Is that the silver imported one you own Carter88? Saw a LHD advertised recently with very low mileage which had been imported from Japan or something like that.

Hi. Not yet, been struggling with time and the weather. Hopefully get on it soon.

---------- Post added at 8:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:03 AM ----------

No mate. Mine was imported from Germany in 1999 then owned by a friend of mine's dad till he could no longer get in and out of it so my friend had it from 2006 till now.

Bonnet open. Thanks to everyone who sent advice. Unfortunately when started up suppect head gasket gone. Got a full gasket set but done know if worth doing as needs other work aswell so may brake and buy a half decent one. Cheers