wbx6dan

gearbox choice which is best?

Evening all i wonder if anyone can help?

I have two gearboxes and wonder which is the best?

I have a 6CBA which is fitted in my G60 corrado but i also have a ATB1 gearbox which possibly came out of a Golf Rallye

althought the cable connections are slightly different im wondering if the ATB1 would be a better box as the corrado box slips out of gear

sometimes and seems to have a lot of throw in the gearchange which would be improved with a shortshift kit but is it going to be worth

changing them over or are the ratios going to rubbish?

any help gratefully recieved cheers Dan

Hello Dan I think theres a thread already on this ?

The thread is called: best gear ratios for g60 gearbox

Sounds like your own gear box has thrown a syncro or selector as that's why it's jumping out of gear ?

I think like you say the Mk2 Golf gear box was used on the very early Corrado's,

I know they fitted it to the 1.8 16v for the first year or two,

and then moved on to the passat gear box on all the Corrado's after that,

but I think with slightly different gear ratios,

due to the different BHP in the various engines.

The MK2 Golf gear box is a short shift ratio so would be crap in the 2.0 16v and the VR6 Corrado's,

as you would be changing gear all the time, yes you would get off the line quite quick as 1st and 2nd gear are really close,

but the top end speed would be crap. I think also the 2nd and 3rd gear range is too close on this box.

The MK2 1.8 16v Golf GTi was 996 KG in weight and the 1.8 8V GTi was even less so they didn't need the long ratio shift that the Passat gear box has,

where as the Corrado's are a lot heaver the G60 is 1115 KG, (1.8 & 2.0 16V are 1190 KG) the (8V is 1097 KG) and the (VR6 is 1240 KG)

The Passat gear box they put in to the Corrado is a longer ratio shift so is slightly slower off the mark,

but has better cruising range and you can use the 3rd and 5th gears better you'll have a better top end speed too,

I feel this gear box matches these engines better.

Infect I think they put the Passat gear box in to the G60 Corrado but again with a slightly different gear ratio.

The Golf Rallye gear box I think is set up for 4 wheel drive,

it has the same engine of course as the G60 Corrado 160BHP as standard,

0 to 60 MPH is 8.6 sec where as the Corrado is 7.8 sec.

Plus the Corrado G60 is slightly lighter than the Golf Rallye (Golf Rallye is 1196 KG) and the Corrado G60 is (1115 KG)

this is due to the Golf Rallye having 4 Wheel drive,

it's the extra weight of the transfer box unit on the main gear box,

and the prop shaft plus the rear diff and the two extra drive shafts at the rear.

I believe this Golf Rallye box is a similar ratio to that of the MK2 16v Golf, very short quick shift range,

the Passat gear box I feel is more suited to the bigger engines in the Corrado like the G60 but mainly the VR6.

Like I say if you also look at that old thread there might be some more detailed info there as well.

Hope this helps.

Si :thumbleft: