afterlife

Rattling water pump on 1.8 16v??

I have a rattle lol.... sounds to me like the water pump is on the way out as it's in that vicinity but could it be cambelt tensioners? Interestingly a belt squeals on full lock, I'm assuming the power steering pump is on the same run as the water pump and thats whats causing it? maybe??

Could just be the idler wheel for the alternator belt if it has one, late 1991 cars onwards do away with this, it looks like a second outer pulley on the water pump, but doesn't actually drive the pump, it has a slip bearing which breaks up and then the pulley rattles.

ah, does it come as part of the pump then for replacement purposes. Outer pump is £20 from spares so worth a new one I think, was just thinking of doing cambelt and tensioners at same time anyway just for the sake of it really, seems daft not to whilst I'm at it. My car is 90/91 H reg though... also would the issue you are talking about cause the squeal on full lock or have I got a seperate issue by chance?

cheers

I had this kind of noise happening, turned out one of the pulleys had broken. Theres a 2-piece pulley on the waterpump (the larger of the two pulleys on there). The welds had deteriorated and caused the outer pully to move about creating noise.

No, there are no welds, it is and 'idler' pulley so has a slip bearing built in, it is two parts and designed to allow slip against the water pump rotation, but I have heard of people welding them up, it will damage your belt eventually but will probably work for a long time.

the squeal on full lock always happens, the manual says not to hold on full lock!

none of the pulleys come with the water pump, and the outer two part pulley is quite expensive, over a hundred pounds from vw if it is still available

ah, i thought the pulley was 2 parts welded together haha, it is welded solid now, much better! I think it was badly welded before anyway!

I see.... well I managed to have a look earlier and it's actually the inner pulley. Well I'm assuming so, it feels loose, however with it being the inner it's obviously pinned into place by the outer pulley so it should hold... just sounds crap :(

As for the squeal, thats pants tbh as it sounds awful... like a dodgy fan belt whenever I turn the car round... again, sounds crap!

It should just groan on full lock, probably the belt slipping on yours, a new pas belt would be a good idea while you are at it.

Edited by davidwort

indeed, it's calling for a service, as I said Im thinking of doing the cam and tensioners so I may do a fairly major service on it too. It runs really nice, starts on the button even when it's been freezing so it'll be good to give it a bit of love as payment for serving me well thus far!

Incidently am I right to assume that the 1.8 16v engine in a corrado is a KR engine, same as in MK2 golfs? If so I have a mk2 golf kr rocker cover spare, will it fit? I was thinking of sprucing it up off the car and then fitting it.

Same engine, only difference from most MK 2s is the narrower inlet manifold tracts, but it's actually better than the wider ones as gives more torque low down.