elnigel

Suspension caps falling into spring! Help?

Hi all.

I am just finishing off restoring my 95 8v. I have dropped the front struts off to change the shocks and notice the spring cap has fallen inside the spring. No wonder there was lots of clanging when I turned corners before! The springs seem to be lowering springs. Are there any wider caps I can buy. When I rebuilt the new struts, the first time I stopped quicky one of the caps popped through into the spring again! I don't know the history of the springs as they were on when I got it. The cap only just fits on the top of them when you build them up without dropping through so it need sorting. Any help appreciated, trying to get it to MOT this week!

Yes early suspension has a wider top coil on the spring. You probably got late style spring plates.

Most suspension seems to be designed for the early stuff.

Am not sure if early spring plates work with late mounts and bearings. You may need to use early top mounts as well as the plate bit.

---------- Post added at 4:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:31 PM ----------

Pic I took of both spring plates and mounts when I was doing mine.

DSC00196.jpg

That's great! Thanks mate! You have saved me! Could I ask where you sourced the spring plates and top mounts from. My local TPS has started to refuse to serve me as I am not trade!!!

Gsf might sell them, i end up ordering most corrado parts online as any where local never has anything in stock so i have to wait anyway.

If anyone has this problem in future I have found a solution.

Early springs can be fitted to late cars with late top mounts if you use part number 1HO 412 341. This is an early mk3 golf gti spring cap. It is designed for cars with early springs but later top mounts.

Fits like a dream on the corrado. They are £15 each from VW.

Thanks for your helpful replies guys!