bigbaz

g60 knock sensor

hi on my knock sensor the outer covering has started to come off is this a problem or could i recover it with tape etc

I replaced mine with engine loom tape. Havent noticed any ill effects but Im sure someone will be on soon telling you to get a new one.

Wrap it and see how it goes for you. Nothing lost by trying.

Yeah best to get a new one really - also they shouldn't touch the coolant pipes and there should be a clip holding it off these - often missing!

If you do replace it the the bolt torque is critical

I think new the knock sensor is around £45.00 to £55.00 from VW.

Or you might be able to get one off Ebay for £15.00 or £20.00

There is a company called VW Heritage (Tel: 08458 738328) they have the knock sensor in stock,

for the G60 engine with engine code PG (their part number is 054905377) price is £12.10 (Blue plug 3 pin, knock sensor)

You can rap tape around the base of the knock sensor but as Supercharged has said you really need a new one by the sounds of it.

The knock sensor is designed to listen for pinking i.e pre-ignition and tell the ECU to retard the timing accordingly,

if the outer plastic insulation is spitting and coming off then the sensor could get interference from damp or dirt or even other sounds ?

The only part on the sensor that should be bare metal is on the base i.e the lower face that bolts against the engine block.

If you have a slight misfire when driving which doesn't really go when engine is under load,

then chances are the knock sensor is on the blink due to it's condition.

The torque setting for the G60 knock sensor is 15 Ft Ib (20Nm)

If you don't torque the sensor to the correct torque setting then it won't work correclty,

as the sensor will be too tight against the engine block or it'll be lose in which case it will not be able to hear the pinking i.e pre-ignition.

Si :thumbleft: