Jim Bowen

Water temp gauge not working

The gauge on my dash has read low for ages. Barely makes it past 70. Unless I sit with it at idle for a while. Seems to rise after a bit and it gets hot. But goes back down to under 70c when driving.

The fans come on ok and oil temp is ok. But got this suspect head gasket or air lock at the moment. Where coolant system is pressurized while driving and seems to blow the coolant out the header tank. Also notice gurgle noises behind the dash and in the pipe from engine block to bulk head.

Tried a new sensor at the weekend. Was a gsf one. And its not fixed the gauge.

Could it be likely its a duff sensor? Or could something else be a problem.

Tried to check the wiring but hardly any if it is visible.

Really should get myself vagcom as I see you can test the ecu temp reading.

Christ. Wonder if this is causing my problems. Might be a cheap fix. Got a spare standard one and spare neuspeed low temp one.

Yeah my temp used to take forever to get up to temp with the low temp thermostat got a standard 80 deg one and all perfect again

Which sender did you replace? I assume the yellow one (now black with a blue stripe if you buy new/VW). Just checking as my car has three :)

Yeah the yellow one, i also have a black one as the car used to have aircon and thats about the only bit of it i didn't remove. does that matter? i notice some places sell a blanking plug.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Bought all my bits to office today, am going to sneak out and fit a new thermostat at lunch time

Fitted it now. Was more awkward than I had planned. Nearly rounded a bolt.

Anyway. It doesn't seem to of changed anything. It's a weird one. Thinking of taking to a garage next for them to work out. Not just the gauge. But this coolant loss.

---------- Post added at 8:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:39 PM ----------

How important is the aux water pump. Seems to be on constantly. Can I drive with it disconnected?

No. I've not got round to getting it yet. Do I buy an ebay cable? Is there a certain one I need?

Never done anything like that before.

Popped into a garage lastnight, and they seemed stumped as well.

I'm quite sure its headgasket now as can't see anything else and i've changed most parts.

They agreed it could be headgasket when i mentioned the noises in pipe from block to heater matrix.

How important is the aux water pump. Seems to be on constantly. Can I drive with it disconnected?

It should be on as long as the ignition is on, plus some afterrun. Don't think it's that vital, mine's been jammed for months :lol:

Stone