jonnykillpop

Vr6 error code 00515 cam sensor or leads?

Hello, been getting slight misfire for while now, and changed various leads, had a set of Magnecors KV85'S on it, and a set of BBT's, and some old VW ones, never felt 100%.

Slight misfire turned into large one yesterday, one of Magnecors gave up altogether, changed No.3 for old VW one and no obvious misfire but not pulling 100%.

Took down garage and showing Error Code 00515 Hall Sender mechanic thought Hall Sender part of Coilpack, but just going from memory.

Had new VW Coilpack recently and have a spare and same with both.

Looking on net looks like Hall Snder on VR6 Coilpack is actually the Cam Sensor, one next to Coilpack but also found this

update.. replaced plugs with bosch platinum x2 and put the new wires back in, presto, no more intermitent check engine light, gave her a good run... no problems.. so note to self never use deutche spark plugs and change switch back to the newer wires sooner next time... obd-1 will throw a code 00515, if a spark plug or wire is bad, or on it's way out..

Should I get Cam sensor first or just bite bullet and buy new set of Bremi leads from VW spares which hear or basically VW originals.

Just worried some other fault is eating leads but don't see how.

Suspect one mechanic has pulled the Magnecors off by leads rather than using tool, which would explain lead probs.

Anone had similar code or probs.

Yeah some engines don't like the platinum tipped spark plugs as these plugs are for engines that run hot, (mainly the newer engines)

plus these plugs you replace every 50 to 60,000 miles as they are able to with stand high temperatures.

Your HT leads should be of the same kind all 6 of them, if you have odd ones fitted here and there then that could be an issue.

I would replace your HT leads if they look a bit dodge.

The cam sensor I know it tells the injectors when to fire and may well have like a hall sensor affect to it as well.

I know this sensor isn't cheap it can be costly.

The best HT leads are the original ones as they are really well insulated and last for years.

Si

Cheers, got new sensor from Euro Carparts, £52.00 but is a genuine VW one, surprisingly, it's stamped VW, part. no. and exactly same as old one. Running fine now, no misfire or hesitation, I would'nt say 100% power maybe 90-95 but I suspect will take few days for ECU to reprogramme with working CPS, or will it need to go back to garage to have error code reset.

I'll probs get some new Bremi's too, but had to shave all the lugs off lead channels to enable fatter Magnecors to fit so now standard ones won't fit properly.

P.S. Got new set of Continental Sport Contacts on front same day, 205/40/17 and would deffo recommend if anyones in market, had Yoko's and Toyo's before that and better all round and last bot lomnger with bit of luck, Toyo's managed less than 3500 miles to racing slicks but amazingly were still gripping well even in wet totally bald.