G60  CS

G60 Mystery Coolant loss

Hi my toothed supercharger belt went recently and also took out the aux belt, I stopped the car and it chucked some coolant out the header tank, I tried topping up but it kept leaking it looked from the back of the header tank. I fitted a new charger and aux belt and thinking my header tank was split maybe, I bought a new genuine one and cap. I topped up with G13, it took approx 2ltrs to bring the level up to the max line. I ran the car for a couple of min saw no leaks from the new header tank and no drop in fluid level. I took the car out for a run got 2min down the road and the warning light came on the dash, Opened the bonnet and no coolant in the header tank, no signs of it leaking from there either. I know I need to investigate myself further by filling it up again and running it up until the fan comes on whilst looking for leaks, there nothing obvious at first glance so I thought Id ask here first

thanks in advance Simon

I would take a look at the oil cap, see if you have any mayo on the cap. Might be your head gasket.

Also check the foot wells for dampness at the passenger and driver side, could also be your heater matrix.

If none of these are the problems, top the water up and park the car up on some clean cardboard overnight and have look in the morning for damp patches.

Good luck with it, hope its nothing serious.

Yeah it may well have cooked it - did the temp rise on the gauge??

EDIT - if you'd not topped up again then do this first - you may not have run it for long enough initially for the stat to open (the level usually rises then drops right down)

The other place you can't see a leak from is the Matrix - can leak quite a bit of coolant (like 1cm per 1000 miles) with hardly any sign or smell of it in the cabin

Ive had a Valeo heater matrix, genuine water pump and thermostat all within the last 1000 miles my footwells are dry.

When I drove the car after topping up the temp on the gauge did rise

Ill top it up again over the weekend and see what happens